Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garry saunders
Any details of passive inhalation risks from the use of entonox in midwifery and obstetric practice.

If so can I have details and sources for referrences where possible/known.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
If you want to read the 'scary' data sheet from BOC it's on http://business.boc.com:81/gases/BOCInfo.nsf/webgenpres/579B741A2B8E055C802568A4005E003D/$file/211.PDF however the stuff has been used safely and to great effect for some years and the observed health effects for users and laboratory rats seem to relate to very prolonged use. I am not aware of any recorded passive dose information or data but perhaps one of our health service members may be able to enlighten us on this?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2003 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando
Rat experiments are associated with exposure to 1000 ppm and above for 8 hours or more a day and I have known staff in some delivery suites being exposed to these levels. If you look in the HSC publication "Anaesthetic agents: Controlling exposure under COSHH" it mentions 6-7 air changes per hour for delivery suites but in our Trust we have found that this is too low. We are running at 15.

The problem with analgesia as opposed to anaesthesia that you get in your face what the patient is breathing in. Mothers to be as labour is painful will not keep any mouthpiece in their mouths all the time and some get rather verbal! The extract system is attached to the mouthpiece.

I have had stories related where midwives have experienced symptoms that have been put down to inhalation of entonox such as drowsiness, nausea and disorientation. As a precaution we do allow any of our pregnant midwives to deliver and pregnant obstetric medics are advised not to go into the suites although maternity theatres are more acceptable because they have scavenger ventilation systems. Delivery rooms should have active extract sytems in the rooms which should be maintained and environmental monitoring should be regularly undertaken.