Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
I have recently investigated an accident involving some pupils at a school who ingested "Lime Water" during a science practical.
I'm lead to believe that lime water is Calcium Hydroxide and that it is non-harmful in a very dilute form.
There are lots of issues surrounding this incident, risk assessment suitability, competence, PPE etc but my problem is, I'm not a chemist! Is the above information correct? Can anyone advise?
Any replies gratefully received.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Ian

You are correct. Lime water is produced by dissolving/suspending calcium hydroxide in water. The suspension is weakly alkaline and, if ingested, will dissolve in the stomach to form calcium chloride. This is unlikely to be harmful in small quantities(it is a permitted food additive). However, are there any trace metals present in the calcium hydroxide which could be a cause for concern?

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2003 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
I'm not a chemist but know a good source of advice, namely the CLEAPSS School Science Service which provides good practical comprehensive information about matters pertaining to school science and also technology. I recall that CLEAPSS said at their AGM last July that all LEAs in England & Wales were members, so your LEA should be a member. Your LEA science adviser, assuming there is one, should be able to confirm. If it already is, the science department where the accident happened should possess the relevant information anyway, - which you could also use to investigate e.g. how did the pupils come to ingest the solution, and did the department/teacher have and follow any relevant risk assessments? If your LEA is not a member, the annual membership fee is worth its weight in gold in relation to what CLEAPSS provides, including its telephone helpline, handbooks and information for direct use by schools. (p.s. In case anybody wonders, I don't get any commission from CLEAPSS! I simply have no hesitation recommending it because it provides an excellent not for profit service, has played and continues to play a major role in the generally high standard of health and safety during the teaching of science in schools.)
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2003 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
The effect would be similar to taking an ant-acid, indegestion tablet like "Rennies".

Graham's advice is good. It shouldn't be possible to ingest anything accidentally in a science lesson. There are many more hazardous substances around, lucky it wasn't one of them.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2003 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
I think I might probe this further. Whilst all the statements above are true I am wondering whether this was freshly prepared as part of a larger experiment. Lime water is obtained by the slaking of Calcium Oxide with water. This is highly exothermic often resulting in significant spitting. The liquor then has the solid in suspension which is filtered off - this is more corrosive and you may know it as slaked lime. The calcium oxide is produced in the lab. via high temperature treatment of calcium carbonate. What if any of these procedures were being done. You may only be told the end story!! Like all incidents this is a part picture. I also agree that the reasons for the swallowing at all must be investigated. Has someone suggested that it was OK?

Bob