Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Farrell
Does anyone know where I can find case studies regarding fraudulent (workplace) accident claims or details of where employees have been prosecuted for failing to comply with 'their' legal obligations.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
Although its not a fraudulent accident claim, the following is an example where individuals were prosecuted for failing in their legal obligations.

Found in Nov 2002 edition of Site Safe News:

'Six construction workers were fined after a passing HSE Inspector saw them breaking the law.'

(Inspector) 'Mr Williams said; "This was nothing to do with the company - all the men had been given safety training. The workers themselves - as individuals - were legally responsible. They were gobsmacked when they found out they were going to court. But people need to realise that everyone has a part to play in controlling health and safety on site."'

For the full article email me with your postal address and I shall send you a copy of the edition (free of course).

Hope this helps,

Kev
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan
Andy,

Have you tried contacting your insurers or any of the larger employee liability insurers such as Zurich Municipal.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2003 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
To all thosse that have asked me to post them the article I mentioned.

I have copied a response from a similar thread below.

Following this advise will get you a free subscription to the Site Safe News and you will also see back issues.

The issue with the article I mentioned is: November 2002: Issue 4 (SSN4:Autumn 2002)

Kev

Posting from another (similar) thread:
(Note it is published twice a year (not quarterly))

"Re: Juidicial precedent
Posted by Steve Roots on Tuesday, 04 February 2003 at 17:20

If you need general case information and results of prosecutions etc. try Site Safety News published by HSE on a quarterly (i think) basis. If its just general info about current rates of fines etc, this publication is quite good. If you visit the HSE website you can join the circulation list, also view previous issues."

HSE WEBSITE: www.hse.gov.uk
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
The Site Safe News Issue's URL is below for a diect link.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/pdf/nov2002.pdf

Kev