Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle Does anybody know where I can find guidance/best practice information on how employers can protect bar staff from the effects of tobacco smoke? I already have indg 63, which is very general, but so far have been unable to obtain a copy of 'Smoking in Public Places - guidance to owner and managers of places visited by the public' from DEFRA. Regards, Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2003 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly A Cara The Irish Goverment is about to ban smoking in pubs after a report on the matter stated that staff cannot be protected and even with the best air con they are 90 times more likely to get cancer than someone working with asbestos. the full report all 60 pages can be read at www.irishabroad.com/news...orey.asp?article=1938271 Good luck Martin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Can I draw your attention to a previous thread (started by yours truly) Irish Smoking Ban in Public Places In the original thread I have included two links to information regarding this issue. Kev
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie i did some research on this for the hse a few years ago but it waw never published, some of the best options are: ban smoking whilst at/near the bar (all the weatherspoons pubs do this) have positive ventilation from behind the bar area, so that it blows clean air to the bar area and then out into the pub. install 'smoke eaters' they are very effective at reducing smoke but require regular cleaning to stay efficient. The size and layout of the bar is a big factor in how good each of these measures is. you can never get rid of the problem, but these measures can have a significant impact.