Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2003 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Antony Ferguson
We have a number of 'permanent contractors' on site, many of whom have worked at the same place of work for over 25 years doing the same jobs, albeit under different employers. Does anyone have reference to case law where the definition of a contractor is determined in relation to section 2 duties to employees? I have heard it mentioned that for contractors who go to the same place of work continually and who are controlled directly by the client, can be classed as employees, for the purposes of H+S law?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2003 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan
Antony

Part of the findings in the Associated Octel case was that contractors should be treated as employees would and not to rely on contractors expertise entirely.

Prudently I would suggest that these "contractors" are treated like employees for health and safety reasons. Protecting people,not liability, is what counts.

Regards

David
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2003 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
Yes I am in total agreement with David on this one! The law as it stands refers to contractors as 'workers' therefore for the purposes of Health and Safety we are looking at employees.

For contractors who have been with you for 25 years there may also be a case to re-look at their employment status in the light of the Inland Revenue ruling on IR35 as it seems likely that there may be some other HR considerations to look at here too.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2003 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks for that David, I agree with your last statement, but unfortunatetly others do not. Do you have any text/ web addresses for the Octel case and the definitive decision making precedent.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2003 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

What is the IR35 ruling Robert and does it have relevance to statutory duties under H+S law?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2003 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan
Antony

A useful synopsis can be found at

http://www.number7.demon...uk/hol/reports/00/26.htm

Paras 8&9 are most useful.

Also mentioned is the Swan Hunter case along a similar vein - this yime more about provision of information

Notwithstanding these - failure in the coordination of contractors ended in fatalities.

Your managers who are resistant are being a little shortsighted I would suggest.

Remember too that that MHSWR requires us to cooperate and coordinate.

Regards

David