Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2003 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally I have been looking to locate health and safety pictures that could be used for training purposes. There are a number of American / Australian sites but few to my knowledge in the UK and the foreign sites tend to lose impact. Would it be an idea for such a site to be run by IOSH ? I have suggested this and am awaiting a reply but thought meantime I could get some input from the users of this website. The site could be sub divided into categories for ease of use.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2003 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Ian, I would certainly like to see a site like this managed by IOSH. Like you, I have to go to foreign sites for photgraphs and they do tend to lose a little impact on presentation. If training delegates could see actual situations from British companies it may hit home a little better. It may be asking too much but some photos of environmental pollution incidents wouldn't be a bad idea. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2003 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser I would certainly endorse this request - use of pertinent and relevant information closer to home is always better than asking delegates/trainees to "stretch their imagination" and try to make obviously foreign pictures relevant to their own situation. However, the sheer incredulity that some of those pictures are met with would hopefully NOT be seen in a UK version but can still useful in demonstrating how a total disregard for personal safety can manifest itself - with sufficient shock value to press the point home!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2003 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone I think this idea would be really useful, as stated before if I need photos I go on some excellent sites but they are mainly based in the USA.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2003 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim I think that this is a great idea and hope your suggestion is accepted, hopefully it could include good and bad practice.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2003 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry Meager I suggest you visit http://www.safetysam.net/index.shtml. This site has many real photographs that add value to training sessions and awareness development materials. As has been said many times a picture paints a thousand words. Larry Meager
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Good idea, however have you thought about how your employer would feel if he is aware that his companies mistakes are plasterd all over a system where people have global access. Problems with confidentiality and anonimity would need to be addressed.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2003 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally Valid point, I still feel there must be plenty of pictures showing poor practice / unsafe systems without giving away the identity of the employer. I have to admit I have taken a few myself and very few give away the company name. You have just given me an idea, perhaps a rouge company picture gallery could shame a few into carrying out better practice, how many times have you driven past a scene that makes you think how good your company is after all! Actually it may be a bit controversial, might work though?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Nice one!! Like it mate put everyone elses mistakes up and not your own as we all know our employers do not make mistakes!!! Would have no problem with donating pictures of 'lapses' in safety if confidentiality was not breached.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ian Have you tried some of the web based photo album providers? They allow a certain amount of archiving on the web, and you can allow people access to the photos. There is a limit to the free bit but for a small subscription you get unlimited storage of all your digital photographs. Try:- http:/photos.yahoo.com ofoto.com msn.com www.web-users.co.uk If these don't work , be patient and I'll get the correct links from home tonight. Also saw an article on this subject in this months Web-Users magazine, hence the link above. BTW great idea!