Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2003 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Clements Somewhere I have read that nurses who are registered in parts 1,2,10 and 11 of the NMC (old UKCC) register may provide 1st aid at work. Parts 1 and 2 are general nurses, 10 are midwives and 11 are health visitors. Can anyone tell me where this comes from? I am at a mental health hospital and most of our nurses are mental health nurses (part 3). They can provide basic medical care to their patients but not, according to the above, to other staff. It seems ludicrous that we should have to send nurses off for 1st aid training to do their job. Does anyone have any comment or idea where this may have come from? The NMC are unable to help here. Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2003 18:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi First aid at work : The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 : Approved Code of Practice and guidance states in its guidance section:- The training and experience of: qualified medical doctors registered with the GMC and nurses whose names are registered in Part 1, 2, 10 or 11 of the Single Professional Register maintained by the United Kingdom Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting qualify them to administer first aid. Where such doctors and nurses are employed the employer may take that into account in determining first-aid provision and in particular the need for appointing first aiders.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2003 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KATE PEARSON I worked for a occupational health provider and all the qualified nurses were required to carry out the four day hse approved course as nurses are not classed as first aiders