Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2003 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Clay
Is there anyone who has any pointers on the factors to use when risk assessing pedestrian mowing machinery for there general everyday use and also specifically on banks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2003 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
During most of our Health and Safety Training Courses (CCNSG: NASP)I ask the delegates to complete a risk assessment on this very subject. Although it isn't directly linked with the tasks many of the delegates undertake in their work (with the exception of landscape gardeners)it is a common enough task for most people to have the ability to define the hazards and to assess the risk involved given various scenarios.

As you have not given the actual scenario concerned(e.g. weather conditions, duration of task, level of training, age and condition of mower and type of mower etc. There are some 'generic' factors that you may wish to consider (apart from those already mentioned):

1 Manual handling of the mower itself (especially on banks).

2 Potential of foot injuries due to mower contacting the feet.

3 Impact injuries due to debris on the lawn flicking upwards as the mower comes into contact with it.

4 Trip hazards (including the cable if using electric mowers)

5 Electrical hazards (if using electrical Mowers)

6 Diesel Fumes and the storage and transport of diesel (if using a diesel mower)

7 Noise effects (especially diesel mowers.

8 Effects of the weather on the individual (UV rays from sun, sunstroke, heat stress, etc)

9 'In the field' maintenace and cleaning procedures and training (safe systems of work etc)

10 Competency of the individual (age and experience)

Although not exhaustive the above should be an adequate starting point.

It is very difficult to comment on this when one cannot see the actual situation.

Should you wish to discuss this further feel free to contact me by clicking on my name and emailing me.

I hope this helps.

Kev
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Rollinson
Just to ad acouple of points,
1) work banks etc should be avoided during/following wet weather if possible.
2) Working on banks often imposes postural strain, often bending over/down, longer handles may help otherwisw limit the time spent on banks and intersperse with level ground work.
Hope that helps
Jim.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2003 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Add 'Health Hazards' to your list (Toxocara, Leptospirosis, Tetanus, etc depending upon locations.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2003 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle Driscoll
Interestingly this was one of my questions on my NEBOSH exam!

Maybe also look at issues of the operator being at danger from passing vehicles/traffic and debris thrown up from this.