Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2003 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GJS Hi.I AM GOING FOR AN INTERVIEW FOR A HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGERS POSITION NEXT WEEK AT A BED MAKING FACTORY,COULD ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES OR QUESTIONS THAT THEY MIGHT ASK ME REGARDING THIS INTERVIEW.I HAVE BEEN OUT OF HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS BUT AM QUALIFIED THROUGH NEBOSH.A COUPLE OF THINGS THEY ARE ASKING FOR IS SITE SECURITY AND MAKING SURE RIVERS ARE NOT POLLUTED ALONG WITH ENVIROMENTAL ISSUES.CAN ANYONE HELP ME AS I WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS POST.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2003 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan No set questions, but I would brush up on a management approach eg HS(G)65 as Insurers are increasing looking at how companies are managed wrt H&S as opposed to their claims record. Most companies have seen an increase of 40% or so, some much more, in Employers Liabilty Insurance as the claims culture grows. Good gambit to use when you have an opportunity to ask questions. Other topics to brush up would be progress with Revitalising H&S and the HSE focus on key issues. Work at height Workplace Transport Slips/trips/falls Musculo skeletal disorders (Manual Handling etc) Stress Environmentally you can use many H&S techniques to recognise problems ie risk assessment and good management controls. Environmental pollution risk looks at the source/pathway/receptor and how to control at each stage. Think noise as a H&S analogy. Management of environmental issues is also as important as in H&S with companies who manage their environmental less likely to fall foul of the "polluter pays" principle whereby spills etc may well be subject to heavy fines but also would incur clean up costs. So look at getting up to speed with the thinking behind ISO 14001. Environment Agency Inspectors (SEPA in Scotland)have pretty similar powers to HSE Inspectors. Environmental law is complex to put it mildly but follows similar patterns to H&S in that the Environmental Protection Act is the cornerstone and is an enabling act (like HASAWA 74)and allows the relevant secretary of state to make new regulations under it. The Scottish Executive have law making powers wrt Happy to chat through some of the issues you have raised on 07771 804892. Best of luck David