Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2003 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ward
Can anyone help? As SA for a main contractor I am trying to find some information on what safety precautions, training etc. we should be insisting on when subcontract joiners bring nail guns onto site. Would they just the the same precautions as for cartridge (hilti gun) tools?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2003 00:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By douglas erskine
short answer is yes although in my experience,the regulations in regard to hilti guns/cartridge tools are not followed on site at all,particularly in respect of the cartridges or people working adjacent to operations
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2003 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
My general approach is to treat all of the various types of nail gun in a similar manner. The power sources vary; with cartridges, gas cells and compressed air being the most common; but there are only minor variations of hazard which relate to the energy source storage and disposal.

There is a warning out on the gas cell types at the moment with regard to non-manufacturers gas cells being offered at reduced cost so please be aware of this. Contact Spit for details.

Both of the majors, Hilti and Spit, are only to pleased to perform on site traing providing their kit is used.

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2003 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally
Cartridge tools & nail guns as you probably know are powered by either an explosive charge or compressed gas or air. The subject isn’t too complex from a user level point of view but as you can imagine, any of these tools are potentially lethal in untrained hands and so the training content needs to provide detailed information which should include; specific manufacturers specification - safe use to include common hazards – maintenance – storage – PPE. I have investigated accidents into both types of equipment and causation has normally be attributed to lack of or inadequate training. This just underscores the importance of ensuring proper training is given. I have attended a supplier training session as a supposed user. I must say I was not too impressed by its depth and feel the company was just paying lip service to hire out its product. I have been advised that some suppliers training is quite good although could not recommend any company personally.

Good luck with your quest.