Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2003 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger I have just signed a contract with a new company to check our fire extinguishers, and they have given me a number of material data sheets for the contents of the extinguisher. I have never heard of anyone carrying out a COSHH assessment on extinguisher contents, do you think this is required. P.S you might be please to hear that the contents are non-flammable!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2003 19:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Peter. No, never heard of anyone doing COSHH assessments for the contents of fire extinguishers, but I am not suprised that you got the MSDS sheets. It is common practice and a legal requirement for information, instructions, and other material data to be given by suppliers of goods for use at work.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2003 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker When you finally come to disposing of the extingishers, you might be glad of the MSDS info. File em away in a safe place.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2003 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Just remember that you only need to record (document significant risks, and as I very much doubt the extinguishers represent such as risk, you would simply be creating paperwork for paperworks sake. Shane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2003 19:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Furness Hi Peter, I would suggest that it is unlikely that you will be required to complete a COSHH assessment. Obviously the company that you have engaged are legally required to have completed them, as their servicing engineers are likely to come into contact with the chemicals within the extinguishers. I trust that when you engaged the company you requested sample copies of all their documentation, which will have included their COSHH assessments as well as the MSDS, so that you can prove that you have engaged competent contractors.(the safety of your staff may rely upon it) Quite a notable company had it's service contract(provision of PFFE) to a client of ours, terminated on recommendation by myself, as it was clear that the servicing engineer did not worry too much about others when he released large quantities of dry powder in to our clients workshop. When our trainers conduct fire extinguisher training, clients are requested to make their staff members aware of issues relating to the release of powder and smoke during the training and we act upon the information, providing as part of our ssow appropriate PPE as necesary (as part of our assessment process for the training) and I am sure that other training providers also take such precautions. Asthmetics and those who may have respiratory disorders would not thank a fire extinguisher engineer or training provider for any release!! best regards Andy Furness