Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2003 23:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Watson Currently my employer issues Safety Footwear 'off the shelf', a large number of employees are requesting 'better quality', better choice' of these items. Can anyone inform me if it is feasible to ask employees to purchase their own safety footwear (to company specifications) & have the company refund what would normally be spent on the existing safety footwear?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Couldn't you simply involve them in the selection process and then place the orders? This should be a 'safer' and less bureaucratic procedure.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2003 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker We have a system where the company pays up to £30 per pair (this covers a wide selection). If employees want something more expensive (caterpillar boots are very fashionable, evidently) they have to pay the difference. An exception to this is an underlying medical problem; where I, in conjunction with the OH nurse, can authorise whatever is suitable. If you don't give the employees a say in what they buy, there are endless problems with not wearing the shoes.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2003 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb Craig, I would totally agree with the previous posting; as an ex bricklayer, l found that the majority of boots that were 'issued' were not comfortable and impractical. Where this is the case, staff will be reluctant to wear them. I found that obtaining different pairs of boots/shoes from companies (mail me direct for useful contacts) and passing them to staff via our health and safety committee members for their comments/views was the most productive means of selecting footwear and then ensuring that staff wear them. By being involved in the selection process, they will be much keener to wear them (and not trainers!)We found that good suitable footwear can be purchased for £35/pair....since this exercise, we haven't had a request from staff to purchase more expensive ones!!