Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2003 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Good Afternoon Under what UK legislation do the providers of social housing have any duties regarding the provision of fire precautions in their housing stock? I have tried searching the HMSO website but can't seem to get on the right wavelength to enable me to find what I am looking for. Any help would be most gratefully received. Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor My understanding is that, other than the normal requirements for passive protection under construction law, building regs, lanlord/tenant duties and contracts, etc, duties for fire protection apply to communal areas constituting workplaces for wardens etc under HASAWA, MHSAW Regs, Fire Precautions Act, Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regs, etc. That said, we still choose to provide AFD and fire blankets in flats and extinguishers on landings as well as in communal rooms/areas. The position is that those in sheltered accommodation remain tenants and not as those within residential or nursing care.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson You need to speak to your Local Env Health Dept as they Enforce H&S in HMO's (Houses in Multiple Occupation) or speak to The Campaign for Bedsits Rights who will tell you what they they think is the tennants / occupants rights. They are online can't remember the www.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2003 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker If you talk to the local EHO can you rely on the advice? Isn't the employer here both gamekeeper & poacher? Not an issue with me - just interested.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2003 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Dont think so mate are there are particular statutes to do with Fire in HMO's and the LA can tell you what they are etc. Dont have to tell them who you are or the address of the premises just that you are thinbking of ....and what would the requirements be etc... and ask for advice and direction. As an EHO myself (not LA) just gave my local friend a call. Try The Housing Act 85 Sects 72/189/190/345/352/354/365 The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Regs 90 Also DOE circular 12/92 Guidance on Fire Precations in HMO's However each LA produces their own council standrds taking the abpve guidance into consideration. For new build - Planning & Building Regs Hope this helps
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Forgot! Housing (Fire safety in HMO's) Order 1997
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2003 23:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Your question is SHUs. In these situations we have staff. Therefore our duties are FRAs in all cases, as the regs refer to employees. I have 22 SHUs if you wish to discuss this then please contact me on david.partington@southwark.gov.uk
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2003 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye Try the building regulations - if the housing is new. Other colleagues inform me that this is connected with "houses in multiple occupation" and guidance is given in DOE circulars 12/92 & 12/93
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2003 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Thanks to all who have responded, particularly to Dave Wilson for the legislative references. However, the legislation just places a duty on landlords to ensure that fire precautions and means of escape are provided to the appropriate standards. The key document appears to be the DoE Circular 12/92; does anyone have a copy that they can forward to me as I cannot track one down online through the various government websites? Paul
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2003 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Sorry mate dont have a copy, if you have Barbour Ti it will be on there. The LA Housing people should have produced their own policy on this taking into account 12/92 etc and may differ slightly from LA to LA. maybe someone out there can get you a copy.