Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2003 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Clarke MIOSH, MIIRSM Hi Folks, Really asking for an opinion, has anybody seen the new check-out display screens in some of the Sainsbury stores, the OS is windows and they look like a PC. Do they come under the DSE Regs? Should a risk assessment be conducted? Should the employees see this assessment? Are the employees entitled to eye tests? Does the company have to provide protective measure, (such as dark screens, foot rests, regular breaks away), if they are VDU's?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2003 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 state ' (a) "display screen equipment" means any alphanumeric or graphic display screen, regardless of the display process involved;' The next test is to be found in the exclusion section of the statute which states (4) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply to or in relation to- '(e) calculators, cash registers or any equipment having a small data or measurement display required for direct use of the equipment; or (f) window typewriters. There is no case law yet on this area that we could find but we here ( lawyers and Health and Safety pros alike) say the new EPOS equipment is a VDU and as such all risk testing should be applied. We are also advising clients to ensure their staff are aware of the risk assessment and what the management intends to do about the results. As for time spent on the equipment, eye testing etc in our opinion the same rules apply as to anyone else using a VDU. This also raises some interesting questions about the seating provided and also the lighting on the screens which in most supermarkets is not designed to assist reading the screens. The statute is of course 10 years old and it is doubted that the technological advances were considered or imagined. But here they are and as such the onus to comply as usual lies with the employer. Intersting though as this sort of advance tends to crawl in under the door with no one flagging up the implications. Well spotted that man!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2003 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Whether or not the DSE regs apply (and I think they probably do in the situation you describe) it is still necessary to carryout a risk assessment (MHSW)and implement suitable control measures. There is plenty of evidence linking musculo skeletal problems with checkouts (didn't the HSE publish a leaflet in the early 90's). I think there is also a HELA on the subject and I seem to recall an HSE research report. I hear the HSE will be issuing it's revised guidance on the DSE regs at the end of the month (to take account of 'miscelleneous provisions' regs); maybe it will cover this.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Ask your LA Env Heatlh Dept as they are the Enforcing Authority, would be interested in what they say!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Although the DSE part of the checkout "workstation" gives rise to some of the hazards and hence the risks, the significant hazard is from the worksation overall and the activities of the checkout operator.A risk assessment of the workstation considering the ergonomics is required to comply with the Management Regulations-1999 & The Workplace(Health Safety & Welfare) Regulation 1992. There is HSE Guidance, "Checkouts and musculoskeletal disorders" IND(G)269 and an HSE/HELA circular, "Supermarket checkouts and musculoskeletal disorders" LAC Musculoskeletal Disorders 58/1 The circular can be accessed at:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/58-1.htm
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Jay has helpfully expanded on my posting. For completeness (and now I'm in the office) the research I referred to was Musculoskeletal Disorders In Supermarket Cashiers (ISBN 0 7176 0831 X). Unfortunately I think it was published before they were all made accessible on the internet.