Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2003 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Maybe I am just an old cynic but has anyone else seen the glaring legal loophole in the DSE Regulations? It is this - one of the stipulated criteria for "user" in the ACOP is for anyone who "normally uses a VDU for continuous spells of an hour or more". So, if an employer subsequently puts in place a policy that stipulates that VDU equipment must not, under any circumstances, be used continously for periods of one hour or more without a break of activity, then the Regulations do not apply to that organisation and no more needs to be done to meet their criminal liability? This will undoubtably save that organisation a great deal of cost from doing arguably unnecessary VDU assessments, providing expensive posture correcting furniture, adjusting lighting, nuisance noise abatement measures, and alternative hardware and software etc. Think of this from this point of view. Your company is almost bankrupt and has to reduce operational costs or make people redundant. They have asked you this specific question, "Is this legally possible"? We are not talking about moral obligation here guys but good sound legal reasoning. By the way, I already know the Regs are about to change in that everyone will be determined as a "user"
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack John, its only the guidance which refers to continuous spells of an hour or more. The Regs say ''user' means an employee who habitually uses display screen equipment as a significant part of his normal work'. When the revised guidance comes out at the end of the month it is likely to say 'normally use DSE for continuous or near-continuous spells of an hour or more at a time' which might help a bit. The change in the Regs does not mean that everyone will be determined as a 'user'. The change will mean all workstations used by employees must meet the 'minimum requirements' which is not the same thing.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2003 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor - and the Regs are already revised - only the guidance is awaited.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2003 18:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley True! True! but the ACOP is a standard which is likely to show that you are in compliance with the regulations, and to be honest, do you think the HSE are likely to take this to court and run the risk of losing? I don't think so! They are still hurting from the Herald of Free Enterprise and the subsequent legal and court costs it involved. The HSE resources are continually being cut back, so they are not likely to take on anyone who has a likely chance of success. I agree with you that the new regs are hardly likely to create a great shift in this perspective. Professionally I feel confident that I could recommend that by designing a policy that stipulates no continuous working at DSE for period of one hour or more could negate anyone from doing anything required by the Regs. However, it's good to get an input from my professional colleagues on not just something spouted out of a safety publication. Thanks Jack
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2003 18:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Yes I know this Ken but I am trying to develop some meaningful debate, extend the argument out of the normal comfortable safety group and look at what we can recommend in a very lateral and unusual way. Personally I am not a advocate of what I am suggesting in my original email, it's just that professionally we have to consider all the options and what is legally possible and best for our clients here. In other words professional advice. I would like to know if anyone feels that they could not give out this advice despite perhaps feeling morally uncomfortable with it?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2003 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The risk here is not just from the enforcing authorities who are subject to monetary fluctuations. The risk is also from employees' litigation which is on the increase. Whilst it is possible to insure against Health and Safety fines, the current market for employer's liability it becoming very volatile and the next move forward appears to be risk assessment for this.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2003 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Yes but again the tort of negligence in H&S is usually based on negligence and breach of statutory duty. How can there be a breach if there is no continuous work of one hour or more; or negligence if the system you have in place instructs employees operating DSE to take frequent short breaks of activity. Legally, where is the "fault"? In my experience with Liability Insurers they are usually very content when you provide them with an absolute defence and show them that the employee was 100% contributory to their injury. However, thanks for your contribution Rob. Anyone else with an opinion?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2003 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The civil court does not deal with absolutes in the way you describe, if it did the stress cases would never have gone beyond the duty test. The test for duty will be widely used as in all employer/ employee negligence and the breach will be case dependant. As usual it will depend on the credibility of evidence. The 100% contributory negligence by an employee is rare still in civil cases and legal development in the ECJ suggest this will be more unlikely in the future as the ECJ want to bring employers across member states in line.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2003 20:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Robert You can insure against civil claims but not against fines. Geoff
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2003 20:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Sorry Geoff that should have read legal action not fines.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft John I would not feel at all comfortable with the recommending of a policy that stipulates no continuous working for periods of one hour or more as being a legal loophole to avoid having to comply with the Regs. True the ACoP does use the words, "the individual normally uses display screen equipment for continuous spells of an hour or more at a time", but this is only one of seven critera to assess whether someone is a user or not. So you could have people who do not meet that one criterea but are users by definition of all or most of the others. Ian
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 February 2003 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley I accept your comment Rob but even if the duty test is conducted and confirmed, in stress cases the evidence must also show foreseeablilty (See judgement summary from LJ Hale in Hatton v Sutherland (2002) EWCA Civ 76). Foreseeability depends upon what the employers knows or ought reasonably to have know about the individual employee. After all this is exactly why the Walker case was won because the employer could not deny foreseability because of the first breakdown. Altough it is difficult to see how any employer can now deny foreseeability as a result of the availablity of information on stress. However, we are moving away from the DSE issue to stress; so to get back on track. I do agree totally with your comments about contributory negligence, but the point I am making is I don't think the case would ever get to court because of the risk of the authorities losing the case as a direct result of the wording in the ACoP. Equally, Insurance companies may be willing to settle out of Court but we would be able to show them that there is a full complete defence here and loss adjusters love a complete defence. Yes you might get improvement notices, which can obvioulsy be appealed against; and yes you might have safety reps jumping up and down, but the real focus of attention here is that I think there is a complete defence in that an employer puts a policy in place telling its employees not to work for continuous periods of one hour or more without a break and as a result the Reg's don't apply. Your point about the ECJ suggesting that there will be a level playing field for European employers is well made, but then again I attended a legal seminar in Lincoln's Inn some time ago and was told that corporate killing offence would be included in the Queens speech and we all now know it wasn't. Travelling on business myself in Europe I see the real application of H&S regulations by other European member states. Thanks though I appreciated your input.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 18 February 2003 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Not you "can" Geof but you "must" under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act of 1969 through authorised insurers under the Companies Act of 1985.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 18 February 2003 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack ACoP? I didn't know there was one.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 18 February 2003 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker It would be nice if responders answered John's original question instead of telling him what OUGHT to happen. Just as a matter of interest how many DSE procesutions have taken place? I am H&S manager of a high risk site, power presses and lots of equipment that would crush a man in the blink of an eye. Do I give the same priority to DSE as PUWER? Not likely! I doubt my DSE controls are best practice, but I'm unlikely to get procesecuted and reletively (Note that word before you start on at me) no one has suffered serious injuries from DSE hazards. Stress and WRULDs being a seperate issues in my view. Back in 1990 DSE was an issue because the equipment was rubbish, that's not changed. In my opinion DSE risk doesn't justify the status of a ACOP and demeans those risks that do.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 18 February 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The issue here John was not compulsory employers' liability but the issue of insurance for Health and safety breaches legal representation and other civil insurance matters where legal representation was needed. I remain unconvinced about the argument of an absolute defence. Insurance company settle on terms to suit both parties by a range of methods. We agree to differ no doubt!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 18 February 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Morally I agree with you Ian but if your employer said to you "can we legally do this" as professionals I think we would have to say yes and that is why I flagged it up as a huge gaping hole in the Reg's. With respect to the criteria in the ACoP, para 12 classifies user/operator as someone who meets all or most of the criteria. So an employer introduces regular short breaks of activity allows employees normal tea/toilet breaks at the employees discretion then that blows away critieria D & B; arguably the important legal terms in C is "significant" or "particular", which is so subjective to be meaningless; in E the term "more or less" again is meaningless and would be legally challenging; in F, I haven't a clue what "fast" means in the legal context; and G is so subjective to also be almost meaningless because with spell check this could arguably decrease the risk or making a mistake for the normal VDU operation in an office environment. Thanks for you response Ian as I am only trying to encourage professional debate. Interestingly no-one has agreed with me yet but neither have they provided enough supportive evidence to indicate I am wrong, which leads me to think it is feasible.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 18 February 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley I can see where you are coming from Rob and as you are undoubtedly aware, you cannot insure against criminal liability. With a strong legal defence the case is unlikely to be brought to the Court by the authorities nor in any civil proceeding. The “No win, no fee” legal representative providers would be reluctant to take up the banner if they are unlikely to get their wedge of the compensation cake - I did say I was an old cynic. I acknowledge your argument of an absolute defence but unfortunately you have failed to provide any legal reasoning behind your perspective. In my experience insurance company usually settle on terms that cost them the least amount of money – that why they have loss adjusters. Lets be clear here, I am not personally an advocate of this approach, all I am asking is, professionally we must provide our employers with all the options available to them and this is only one of them. I have seen too many professional H&S advisers/managers approaching issues only on moral grounds and not concentrating on financial and legal reasons. Perhaps it should be looked at as a typical NEBOSH question. Lets face it so far it has expanded the discussion and we can all learn off our colleagues, which is what this forum is supposed to be all about. Thanks for you response Rob. John
Admin  
#19 Posted : 18 February 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack John, you are referring to GUIDANCE not an ACoP (ie Para 12) On the more general point I agree with Jim. The Regs were a sledgehammer to crack a nut (I have always thought an ACoP under PUWER would have made more sense). Why should DSE be singled out for such special treatment. The HSE site certainly lists no prosecutions although a few Improvement Notices have been served. However, the civil side is a different matter there have been a lot of payouts, and failure to 'carry out an analysis workstations' could be used as breach of statutory duty. Also I am aware of serious ill health as a result of using badly set up/organised workstations (I know it's not as bad as being crushed by a power press but serious enough for ill health retirement). Should DSE staff in an otherwise high risk workplace have to accept lower standards than elsewhere simply because the H&S manager only has time for the high risks? It might be argued that the employer has not fully met the requirements of Reg 7 of MHSW if the competent persons don't have time to advise on compliance with all h&s legislation.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 18 February 2003 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley oops yes of course you are right Jack, thanks. I just went into automatic I'm afraid. I always thought that the DSE Regs received too much individual attention but you see them in every working environment so there is an increased perception of risk but not necessarily to the level of risk itself. I must acknowledge however, that people do suffer from ULD problems and that this can often lead to the end of thier repective career. Although Improvement Notices have been served, I bet no-one has challenged these notices. I would be interested to hear if anyone has and the result? I understand the civil side is a different matter and failure to carry out an assessment could be used as breach of statutory duty, but only if there is a breach of the statute, and that is the point of my question. If the Reg's only apply to users/operators, then unless an employee meets most or all of the criteria, then by definition there can be no breach. Or am I wrong????????????????????? Thanks for your input Jack, its appreciated. John
Admin  
#21 Posted : 18 February 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Jack, Your injury due to "badly set up work station" bears no relation to the DSE element. It could just as easily been a soldering station or chicken plucking station. I made a slip of the typing finger (wish I could touch type) in my initial response, the final para should read "Back in 1990 DSE was an issue, because the equipment was rubbish, that's all changed." Yes I'm far from perfect in my competence and have to proiritise my work load. Difference between those of us in the real world and those who just sit back and comment on it, I suppose. By the way, if you are who I think you are we are not sitting two miles apart at this moment.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 19 February 2003 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack John, for what its worth I think failure to carryout the workstation analysis could in itself be taken as breach of statutory duty if it could be evidenced that led to a failure to implement effective controls. Jim, I largely agree with you. The difference is that there are explicit Regs with regard to DSE and implicit Regs with regard to the rest. They could just as logically have come up with the Health and Safety (Chicken Plucking) Regulations as the DSE ones. I think it was an EC political decision which was not based on an assessment of risks. I guess it depends where you are sitting?
Admin  
#23 Posted : 21 February 2003 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley So far everyone has responded much to my expectations on this subject as safety professionals and this has been in general opposition to what I am suggesting, which is fine . However, what I am trying to establish is a specific legal point and it is this. If the Regulations only apply to users/operators (yes I know this has/is changed recently), then according to the regulations and its subsequent guidance, if frequent short breaks of activity are introduced every hour then no-one can be categorised as a user/operator and subsequently the Regulations do not apply. Let us ignore all the issues other than purely the legal argument here. Imagine you are a legal representative in Court and your client is an employer who has implented this regime and you are defending it. Your argument will be simply the regulations do not apply in this case. Do you think there is a good defence irrespective of the level of HSE or plaintiff evidence to the contrary? It would be good to hear someone agree with me, but only if you think there is a basis of truth in what I am saying. We don't need to hear about moral and financial aspects, only legal arguement.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 21 February 2003 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson John, I thought Jack addressed this in his first posting. The Regs define a user as an employee who habitually uses display screen equipment as a significant part of his normal work. Thats what a court would rely on. It would consider whether the employers decision about which employees were users was reasonable. It is HSE GUIDANCE which refers to continuous spells of an hour or more. Jack also said that when the revised guidance comes out at the end of the month it is likely to say 'normally use DSE for continuous OR NEAR-CONTINUOUS spells of an hour or more at a time'. If that is true then that might alleviate some of your concerns.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 21 February 2003 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House It is obvious that there are quite strong opinions on the value/ worth of the DSE regs. However, as far as the question in the original posting is concerned, regardless of what/ who the DSE regs categorise as a user, does reg 3 of the Management regs not stipulate that, "Every employer shall make suitable and sufficient assessment of the risks to the H&S of his employees to which they are expose while they are at work"? This then surely applies to workstations, and encompasses DSE equipment? Regards Nick.
Admin  
#26 Posted : 21 February 2003 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Damned good response Nick, but Regulation 22 of the management regulations says that a breach of the reg's cannot confer a right of action in any civil proceeding. I really doubt if the EHO or HSE would take anyone to court with the risk of losing and it's inherent costs and I think the risk is high here because of the draughting of the Regs. Please be assured that this is purely an academic argument and is not something that is happening in reality. Just an interesting point of debate.
Admin  
#27 Posted : 21 February 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Thanks for the reponse Jack In reply, I know how the regs define a user/operator but as stated in a previous posting in respect to the criteria, if an employer introduces regular short breaks of activity, allows employees normal tea/toilet breaks at the employees discretion, allows them to manage their own workload, provides reasonable KPI's, they have normal lunch breaks, talk on occassion to their colleagues etc etc then in the legal context how can they be users? If not, the regs don't apply. If the reg's are found to be not applicable then there is no legal case to answer. The court would rely on a. Is a duty owed, b. has it been breached and c. is the breach responsible for the injury. Point b would be the defence. An employers compliance with the HSE Guidance is unlkely to result in the HSE or EHO taking the case to court. With respect to the new guidance, legally what do the terms "continuous or near continuous" mean in legal definition? Who really works absolutley continuously at DSE? Don't forget, in a criminal prosecution it is up to the prosecution to provide evidence that must prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused has commited an offence.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 21 February 2003 17:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House John Damn! Forgot Reg 22!! Interesting debate though. There must be another way of bringing a successful action (I realise that this is only a hypothetical debate) against an employer in the case of a WRULD claim other than through the DSE regs though. That said, aren't we also in the business of protecting our employers from having such actions brought against them where possible? Therefore, for every possible action, we should also be looking towards defences. Have a good weekend all. Nick.
Admin  
#29 Posted : 21 February 2003 18:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi It may be worth recalling that the EC has challenged the Civil Liability Exclusion "Clause" in Regulation 22 of MHSWR 99 as the Framework Directive has no such exclusion! There was an HSC consultation, but we await the outcome. The refrence is Consultative Document on its proposals to amend the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSWR) and the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997 (FPRegs). The document is available on the web at http://www.hse.gov.uk/consult/condocs/cd177.htm The proposals include: amending the so-called "civil liability exclusion" in MHSWR, to allow employees to claim damages from their employer where they have suffered injury or illness as a result of their employer breaching MHSWR; making similar amendments to the FPRegs, to allow employees to claim damages from their employer where they suffer injury or illness as a result of their employer breaching the FPRegs;
Admin  
#30 Posted : 22 February 2003 21:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In response to your question, if an employer asked me whether they could escape the duties of the DSE Regs by instructing limited time exposure I would advise against this action, in addition to the good 'health and safety' reasons, as being something of a risk due to not knowing how a court or insurer would interpret the actual Regulation and the practicality of ensuring compliance with the instruction by operatives and their supervisors.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 23 February 2003 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard What is so sad about this thread is that we are not concerned with whether any harm would come to an individual, but how the law, designed to protect that individual, can be circumvented Richard
Admin  
#32 Posted : 24 February 2003 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Your are absolutley spot on Nick. I know most of us would morally go down the protect employees route but we also have to consider who pays our salary. We have to provide all the options available our employer. Consider an organisation who is almost bankrupt and is saving opeational costs wherever it can to survive and save jobs. If what I am suggesting is legally viable, then isn't it our professional duty to advise the employer accordingly?
Admin  
#33 Posted : 24 February 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Wasn't aware of that Jay thanks for the information. Your input to the debate is appreciated
Admin  
#34 Posted : 24 February 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Yes true Richard, but from the totally opposite perspective, how many people would actually suffer if this regime was implemented and adhered to? The costs saving on what many think as unnecessary regulation can be significant and could arguably be targetted to better use. We are all acutely aware of some of the injustices in today's modern legal system, the Stephen Lawrence, Damilola Taylor, Guildford four, Herald of Free Enterprise, Hillsborough etc being just some. There may be justice in heaven but we mere mortals only have the law to rely on. If the law is wrong, change it. The sole purpose of this thread is to allow our professional colleagues an insite and question the Reg's.