Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2003 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dear, All. In recent months in all areas of the site I have asked a number of questions concerning the value and cost of qualifications. Coupled to this I have tried to align the subject to the testy question of the possible future development of the Institution, and in particular to the notion of IOSH awarding at some time in the not too distant future, the title 'Chartered Safety Professional/Practitioner' (CSP). Feed back from the question on the value and cost of qualifications has been very interesting, and in general most respondents feel that the NEBOSH Diploma is too expensive, bearing in mind of course that a high proportion have to pay for their training and are not supported in this by their/or any employer. Further on the qualifications subject; a very high percentage, when faced with the cost of the NEBOSH Diploma route have opted to take a PgC, PgD, or/and leading to the MSc or are now considering this route in preference to the NEBOSH route. In the most part, feedback appears to indicate that the MSc is regarded as more cost effective and of higher status/value in terms of employment/prospective employment than the NEBOSH Diploma. Interestingly the NVQ4 gets mentioned but is obviously in the minority, although this may not appear to be be due to its value, which in the most part appears good, more likely it appears that it is fairly difficult to achieve and the period of work experience at the right level may be lacking for those who have considered it. Whilst I had also hoped to spark the idea that if the title 'CSP' must be on the horizon and in the thoughts for IOSH, I recognised that a lot of work would still needed before this could be anywhere near achieved, not least in reorganising the qualification and membership standards/criteria of IOSH to a great degree. Further it was highly likely, looking at the standards required of other 'chartered' bodies to be able to award the title 'chartered XXX' that the likely qualification requirement for this group would be that of BSc and/or MSc, and tried to hint at where the NEBOSH Diploma and other qualifications (NVQ's etc) would fit into the overall picture. Whilst much talk has ensued and been generated by the subject of 'Chartered Status' few it seems to me (forgive me if I am wrong) have actually grasped this and what the possible standards may or will be in order for the CSP to come about, and hence the hoops that prospective 'CSP's' and perhaps a lot of other members will have to jump through if they wish to attain this status when and if introduced. In saying this, it would seem rather odd for a body to go down this route and attain chartered body status if it were not aiming to proceed to the stage of being an awarding body for chartered status for its members !! Whilst I had hoped that some would see the link and put the thoughts on this in the various discussions on the site into form and focus, this seems not to have been the case, and much talk on the subject(forgive me) seems to have missed the point. I now ask you: what is the means by which IOSH (which claims the title of senior professional health and safety body in europe) can establish a system of qualification that fits both members and prospective members in terms of costs and attains the prospective IOSH (assumed) vision of seeking higher standards in the qualification route, thus meeting a smoother transition from Institution to Professional Chartered Body, and able to award chartered status to members? What is the way forward for those seeking qualification in light of possible future developments and the possible award of 'chartered status' - those who have studied hard and paid highly will not I am sure be happy perhaps if their NEBOSH Diploma does not merit the criteria for inclusion for registration as 'CSP' which could be limited to only those with a BSc and MSc !! What then for the highly experienced but not acedemically qualified occupational safety advisor - how do we engineer a route for persons in this category? we surely cannot let these, our former seekers of wisdom down by closing the doors... How then do you try and seek understanding and foward motion within an institution where its members argue (sorry enter into reasoned debate) over wether CSP is wanted or of value when esentially the institution has never consulted them or allowed them to vote on the subject!! There are only 3 options, move forward, stand still or go backwards. neither going backwards or standing still is an option here if progress is to be made, and it must be. There are however issues, albeit thorny, that need to be managed and decided. Perhaps we can now have the seminal debate that we should have, and indicates which way the motion should be carried - forwards, backwards or nowhere.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2003 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I cannot agree more! The IEHO in the late 80's and eventually in thge early 90's gained the CIEH status and immediately closed all avenues to qualify as an EHO unless by Bsc route. I have personally through this as I have a Dip Eh in EH as now also MIOSH,RSP however by the time I qualified my Dip was no longer offered and this was an avenue where technical assistants/Meat Inspectors etc could attend a 3 year sandwich course and qualify as an EHO. Not any more as the NEED to have a University qualification to justify Chartered status was overriding. This pool of experienced resource ws lost forever unless you could satisfy the Entrance bord that you had the qualification (A level, GCSE) to gain admittance. So, Why Chartered Institution if no Chartered Status for members? I am not being cynical here but I can only feel that it is a matter of time before this happens! Or if the powers that be are true to their statements then maybe they need to start thinking about this subject and letting us members know. Will existing members be given this status? or at what level will it be awarded? So many questions need answering and this may not be the right forum but still need to be addresses on what the future holds for the (C)IOSH.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2003 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Stuart, Here are my views on a number of points you raised. Getting qualifications The various routes are expensive & time consuming; anything else degrades them, to pass shows commitment. I first got seriously involved in H&S in 1990 yet only last year attained MIOSH, my family had priority on both time and the money. Anyone who has managed to get funding from their employer is extremely lucky and from your survey fairly rare. When I was working towards my MIOSH and IOSH were in the process of getting the Charter; I did have visions of CSP after my name. As you comment in your other threads, a brief look at the qualification requirements of organisations that do have chartered practitioners, show that this was never on the cards. I’m probably among your category of MIOSH that will never get CSP and I think that is why we have a deafening silence on this issue from the board as they realise they cannot upset the vast majority. Where do we go now? The chartered status of IOSH has got to be beneficial; I suspect no where as beneficial as we all thought, but its water under the bridge now. Presumably what we all want these fancy titles for, is to show that H&S professionals have an important role to play and thus deserve higher status (and all the goodies that go with it). The IOSH corporate strategy seems to support this aim. I believe considerable time and effort should be put into lobbying HSE in defining a competent person and thus strengthening the requirement of reg. 7of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations. At present the competent person can be anything you want it to be, usually something cheap. Why can’t IOSH produce a guideline of its own on this subject, given time it would achieve the status of an industry best practice. At the same time a campaign of “enlightenment” of employers is needed. Too many employers seem to view H&S as a necessary expense because of legal requirements rather that good business sense. In the past two years (as I’ve commented in this forum) I’ve been chasing jobs and find myself considered no better qualified that someone who has done the one week managing safety course and a bit of experience pinning up posters. IOSH should push its claim that the membership is superior to other organisations and that MIOSH (by whatever route) and RSP are the top of the heap. CSP is something well into the future, RSP is already well established. Let us concentrate on the achievable for the benefit of the membership and the status of the profession. There is nothing stopping us talking RSP up to the status of CSP if we work on it. Which brings me back to my original point, making MIOSH and RSP easier to attain is not in our interests.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Agree with all of the above, There are quite a few H&S people out there who are of the opinion that unless we as Professional H&S Managers get a 'seat ' at the board table and influence the decisions of that board then we will always be seen as 2nd rate in my opinion. The old idea of giving the safety job to an employee who was nearing the end of their career and giving him a little training are still with us, with some employers. Unless we have professional standrds which we can all aspire to and a clear heirarcy of professional status and what this means to industry then I'm afraid we may never get out of this rut until employers understand that safety and profit go hand in hand. Look at Environmental Management and how they are progressing MSc in Env Man 10 years ago unheard off, now IEMA looking at chartered status and suggest that they will get it as they have an academic route to achieve this with MSc and Phd included. Strict and stringent joining route to the institution. Scenario! PHd in electrostatic precipitation can I join IOSH as a spec MIOSH, in you come mate. Good! now have MIOSH after my name lets go into consultancy and maybe a H&S Managers Job have no idea but it pays well, anyway my employer doesn't know anything about H&S so they will never know. Are we going to be proactive and set our stall out or pussy foot about around this issue. My feelings are quite simple Chartered status - shout about it!! Set rules for Chartered SP - Consult with members Set timescales, give dealines and achieve them. Open communication along the way. Have a look around your boardrooms people and look at the professional qualifications held by the board members and what sway do they have. Some employers recognise RSP but they are in the minority, they have a business to run and will pay as little as possible, however they would never dream of paying £20k for Chartered Accountant or HR Manager CIPD! From start to finish assumng that you pass first time takes approx 7 years for RSP(correct me if I'm wrong) Think we as H&S professional need to take a long hard look at the way we 'do' H&S and this can only be led by our profession. Nuff said.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2003 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Firstly I would like to thank Stuart for his detailed and informative posting to the web-site. He has managed to encapsulate many of the challenges faced by IOSH in the next few years. The granting of the Royal Charter for the organisation of IOSH is a great honour for all the members of the Institution in that it recognises the value and integrity of health and safety as a 'new' profession. Whether you have doubts or not about the validity of a charter at all, in the fact that we are a UK based body this is the way of achieving the necessary status for the profession. Although IOSH is increasingly becoming an international body, it is still based in the UK and this is the route for recognition for IOSH as representing a profession, in a similar way to many other, now, international but UK based professional bodies who have gone before us. Yes, as Stuart says the next stage of individual chartership is not an easy one, the profession has a lot to do to attain this. The corporate strategy in 2000 indicated that this was work that would need to be carried out towards the enhancement of the reputation and standing of IOSH. I can reassure Stuart and all of you that this is being carried out. Perhaps there is limited information about what is going on at the moment, this is because we are still developing the concept let alone the details of what will be required. Perhaps it could be done quicker but it could also be done wrongly and to quote Stuart neither standing still or going backwards is an option. The Professional Affairs Committee (PAC) of IOSH, which can be contacted via myself, have taken up the work load required and at the moment in addition to them we have a Working Party looking at Qualifications in the HE sector (our biggest growth area), a Working Party reviewing the CPD scheme and we continue to work with both ENTO and NEBOSH on the standards and qualifications they oversee. The PAC are leading the debate for Council at a meeting convened in the summer purely to discuss this isse. Once Council have, in principle, agreed to the outline proposals then a consultation with the membership will take place. To a certain extent this is already being done, I spoke to this subject at both the IOSH and RoSPA conferences last year and at many local branches who invited me to do so. The Branch Education Officers from each branch also attended a day on this subject so they could take the message about what was going on back to the members. The issue about the level required to allow IOSH to apply for individual chartered stautus is indeed a thorny one! We will obviously take advice from the Privvy Council on this one as we develop the proposed membership structure. There are, now two frameworks for qualifications in the UK. The Quality Assurance Agency for HE (QAA) and the Qualification Curriculum Authority (QCA). As the press has informed us recently these have their faults, however they do give an indication of the level of the qualifications in relation to each other. The NEBOSH Diploma, currently at part 2, will be placed on the QCA framework at level 4 similar to the N/SVQ at level 4. This level is defined, by the QCA, a government agency, as HEDiploma or Degree level qualification. We could then expect that existing NEBOSH Diplomates could be recognised as 'graduate' level. It is a bit early to say at the moment if this would be acceptable but it is a piece of work we have to do. To pick up Jim's point in a response to Stuart. RSP is a good recognition of a person's competence in health and safety and the fact that it has mandatory CPD gives it more authority. Any future individual chartered status is likely to resemble the current RSP quite closely, the assessment of those entering the register has already tightened as we, to a certain extent, 'pilot' future criteria. Although we often think IOSH is following other bodies, in CPD we are in fact very well established. Not all professional bodies, including some with chartered individuals, have yet introduced mandatory CPD. So we do have some very strong points in our favour. To summarise IOSH is moving towards more searching entry requirements, which will facilitate the move towards individual chartered status. Your elected Council members, would like to hear from you regarding this process, which I would not anticipate being complete before 2005. As a final shot shouldn't it be CSHP?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Well said, Stuart and others above! I believe that I may have mentioned here before that I can remember once seeing a local authority advert for a Car Park Attendant/ Safety Officer. I also recall chief officers who would not support staff undertaking educational courses upon the arguement that they should already be able to do the job for which they were employed and, if not, shouldn't be in post! I still wonder, at times, how far some employers and senior management have travelled down enlightenment's road since then. Some of us did 3 years day release with accompanying homework, site visits, mock exams, etc and sat 10 examination papers in order to attain MIOSH status - and have subsequently worked away attending, courses, seminars, etc, etc to maintain the RSP suffix whilst others have simply attended a short course or been elevated from trade union H&S reps to reach much the same level in the estimation of management in seeking to meet their H&S duties by employing a 'competent person' to 'assist' them. The H&S profession still needs the status it deserves and the chartered route awaits exploiting sensitively and sensibly to that goal.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2003 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Hazel, Thanks for the in depth reply and I am relieved that the Institution is progressing this, I dont really care what the 'chartered' person will be called but that our profession overall may, in the near future get the respect from Industry which we rightly deserve. If it wasn't for our members out there some of these 'Directors' could well be in jail and the HSE annual stats would be lot worse than they actually are.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2003 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Dave, I see over on the careers forum, your namesake is offering a £35K assistant manager's job on the strength of a NEBOSH certificate.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 February 2003 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Nice salary, and if you can get it with a NEBOSH cert then Good luck! Just goes to show that does industry really understand what they are getting for this. Do realise that there are very competent safety professional who only have this qualification but also with a wealth of experience, so how does a prospective employer diffirentiate? Difficult!! I have come across in my time H&S Consultants with NO H&S qualifications and even someone who had failed the Cert Twice!!! Chartered status will only enhance a prospective employers understanding of 'Relevant' Safety qualifications. As I am writing this it raises the question of how do you accommodate a person who is an exceptionally good H&S professional with vast experience with minimal 'academic' qualifications as part of a chartered institution? Any ideas?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 February 2003 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson This thread goes on and on!!! Respected H&S consultancy wants a Chartered EHO with MIOSH and RSP and willing to pat circa £27k NHS Trust wants an Assistant H&S Manager with Nebosh Cert £35k. Am I missing the plot here!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 19 February 2003 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dave. I read your interesting comments in your replies. In response to your question: how do you accommodate a person who is an exceptionally good H&S professional with vast experience with minimal 'academic' qualifications as part of a chartered institution? Let me try and explain how other professional bodies do this; They actively seek members from this category, realising that they too have something to add, by having a 'mature candidate route to registration'. This operates by accepting applications from persons who meet a set minimum standard, usually defined by age (to ensure maturity for the level of responsibilty likely to be held by this level of applicant), number of years experience in the field, and supported by references and the application being supported by several existing members. The 'Mature Candidate' would be asked to prepare and submit a project/thesis on the field of operations with suitable technical input, defining his role, responsibility and demonstarting his level of skill/expertise etc in these and supported (normally) by his employer. This documentation would then be circulated to members sitting on a 'Mature Candidate Review Panel' (who will interview the candidate) where each has the opportunity to read and digest the submission and make an appraisal, based on the submission meeting a specific set criteria (defined by the institution as meeting the standard normally equitable with whatever level the 'Mature Candidate' has applied for). The 'Mature Canididate' will then be informed if the submission meets the requirement of not, as the case maybe. If it does s/he will be invited to undertake a 'Mature Candidate Review', which is an interview by the review panel (basically a good grilling - 4 to 6 hours is not uncommon so I understand) to establish that the candidate does indeed meet the criteria for whatever grade s/he is applying for, and may also be asked, depending on the outcome of the review to sit a 2 hour paper on a subject set by the review panel where they may have detected any weaknesses in the presentation made by the candidate, right there and then !! Following this process the results and comments of the reviewers, with a recommendation for a grade of membership (which incidentally may not be the level actually applied for but lower, as the review panel see's fit) are passed to the review board. They will sit to review the reviews done by panels and a grade of membership (or not as the case maybe) offered as a result. I know what your thinking.... Blimey this is long winded (or perhaps words other than this !!!!), but this is the way that other 'Professional Bodies' deal with the situation. Most if not all have this mechanism for 'Mature Candidates' to be able to achieve full membership if meeting the standards set. Consider.... They too have worked hard for their bodies status, and hard for the attainment of perhaps Chartered Status - Degree or Masters Degree - Post qualification training and experience of varying lengths of time sometimes years, to attain 'Chartered Status' as an Engineer or whatever. The systems employed are designed to ensure; * Standards are maintained and improved * Only those who are actually worthy candidates can attain the status, thus ensuring equitable standing in the eyes of peers It is not an easy route to take, and it is not intended to be so, but if you are to offer a route at all it has to equate with the grade that was attained via the normal qualifications to have any standing at all, and meet the standards set and agreed by the bodies themselves (and of course satisfy the Privvy Council and Qualifications bodies) that achievement of the route does meet the standard required... Hope this anwers your question....
Admin  
#12 Posted : 20 February 2003 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Thanks for that Stuart, Cannot agree more, just because someone has very good academic qualifications, which may attract prospective employers, or even a degree in outer mongolian flute playing does not mean that they are good at their job! How many Safety Policemen who dont look forward but only tell you what you are doing wrong, do you know! Leave that to the Quality Dept! (I know its not PC) Experience coupled with knowledge and understanding is everything. If and when we ever get to the Chartered Safety Practitioner status then these members must be taken into consideration and even suggset that some RSP's may need to go through this procedure as well!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 20 February 2003 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Stuart, I know that you are an advocate of this "mature" member route, but I just can't see it. Are you saying this should be a route into the highest level of membership, or a lower grade? I can understand the need for a lower grade of membership where people did not have relevant qualifications, but surely a CHSP (I agree with Hazel, current RSP and TechSP designations omit the ever increasing health part of our jobs) would need top class qualifications AND extensive experience? I do tire of old hands (not referring to anyone in particular) bleating on about these young upstarts with paper qualifications and no experience. I agree that this does not define competence, but is it any worse that someone with no qualifications and 30 years experience (who has possibly been giving dubious advice for 30 years)? Kind regards, Nick
Admin  
#14 Posted : 21 February 2003 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Good point Nick, So what do we do ignore it until these persons have retired, or do we find a way bringing them into the fold with 'grandfather' rights. Suggest it would be quite easy to ascertain what a persons experience is, therefore suitability for CHSP by the route which is suggeted by Stuart. However the awarding body for Charter status may have another view as to the standards required.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 21 February 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Dave, I am not trying to put down people with lots of experience, just trying to say that the only people eligible for CHSP should have top class experience AND qualifications, not one or the other. There is a route for people with qualifications and no experience to be involved in IOSH (Graduate) so a mature grade seems reasonable. However, I do not subscribe to the view that there should be a mature route into CHSP, regardless of what other institutions feel is acceptable, but hey, it's just my opinion. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#16 Posted : 21 February 2003 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I know mate, appears we are dammed if we do and dammed if we dont. I feel that any proposal / decision like this will be decided by the organistaion who awards 'chartered' status as I would have thought that this would have been discussed before the 'Charter' was awarded. Go and see Hazel response in the other thread qual, status charter etc.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 21 February 2003 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey All, The Privy Council is the body which sets the requirements for Charter. You can find the outline requirements on their web-site (www.privy-council.org.uk). One of the requirements is corporate members of the Institution should be qualified to at least first degree level in a relevant discipline.Clearly IOSH has some way to go to satisfy this. The PAC are aware of the comments that arise both in this forum and others. You can rest assured that they are aware of most of the issues that face the profession and are taking all the comments of members into consideration It's not going to be easy to take the next step but then something that is worth having seldom is. With that philosophical note, on a Friday evening I shall retire to a glass of chilled white wine.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 24 February 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Thanks Hazel, How was the wine, nicely chilled I presume. As an ex EHO I thought that this was the scenario as I have a Dip in EH from the IEH at the time (now CIEH), however as soon as they were awarded 'chartered' status they dropped all routes to chartered status, when embarking on a career in Env Health unless you had a degree (BSc). That said the existing members were awarded this status very much like the old sanitary inpectors of Public Health took off. Still feel that if we go down this route of CSP then MIOSH,RSP if a member, Tech SP, experience & pass peer board New then graduate scheme as if and when chartered status comes about this will be the only route if embarking on a career in H&S. That said how do we expect to recruit and retain persons into this profession if a lot of employers out there do not give the recognition and hence salaries which go with it? Dont envy your job one bit, anyway the wine was OK.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 24 February 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator As referred by Stuart, there have been several threads on this topic, including "Chartered status" initiated by Ken Taylor on 12/11/02 - now archived to let other discussions like this one develop - 133 responses are pretty cumbersome to download. If you've not seen the other threads, open the "Search" link in the right hand column of the forums and enter the keyword, "chartered". The search can be further refined by making a choice from the drop down lists "In" and "Forum". Leave the member box blank unless you want to locate threads containing a posting by a specific contributor on the topic. Also, this year’s membership renewal mailing which all members will receive shortly includes information about the Royal Charter and Byelaws. Angela Wheatcroft Website Co-ordinator
Admin  
#20 Posted : 25 February 2003 04:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry Meager Stuart, The balance been qualifications, experience and being recognised as a safety proffesional has created a lively forthright debate. On a personal note I have been a practicing safety proffessional for almost twenty years but wonder whether a BA(Soc Sci) would allow recogniton at higher levels of OHS qualfications. A degree in sociology and related management sciences does not elicit support when seeking personal and proffessional recognition. Ancillary supporting skills in training design and delivery, change managment and auditing are skills a successful safety manager requires but are not generally seen as part of the skill set package for a safety proffessional when seeking proffessional recognition Safety qualifications seem to require a technical scientific focus, as we (safety proffesionals) recognise approx 90% of accidents can be attributed to an element of poor safety behaviour, alas behaviouralist seem to be the poor cousins in OHS management. Some form of total skill recognition is required, the balance of education and experience should be collectively considered, not just educational qualifications. Regards. Larry Meager
Admin  
#21 Posted : 25 February 2003 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan ""Chartered status" [is] now archived to let other discussions like this one develop". What authority is being invoked to close a debate that is still very active and has held the interest of many readers, (over 21 thousand viewings with several thousand in the past week or so)? Have the controllers of this website decided that there are certain debates which are preferrable and that others are to be "archived", i.e. prevented from developing any further, because of their preference. This thread is interesting. So is "Chartered Status", but the actions of closing down "chartered status" raises very serious questions and concerns about the openness, fairness and integrity of this forum. Put "Chartered Status" back on-line and allow readers to study and develop all debates and and not simply those which the co-ordinators prefer. Fraternally Philip
Admin  
#22 Posted : 25 February 2003 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Didn't even notice it was gone! Understand that the issue is still a 'hot' topic and will probably resurface again, if not through this thread? Anyway a 133 postings is a lot and takes time to download etc just as well it wasnt more than that if all persons who view posted a response!
Admin  
#23 Posted : 25 February 2003 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I agree with Philip (Now there's a first). Who decided on a 133 and out rule? Mind you I'm sure most of the 1000s of viewings are us same old sado's who click on to every new posting! I think it should be brought back out of the archive, though.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 26 February 2003 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Only 110 more spaces left on this one, Stuart! Angela, could you arrange an amendment to the forum to the effect that one normally only downloads the last 25 responses but with an option to download all if preferred?
Admin  
#25 Posted : 26 February 2003 20:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Those threads which are no longer "active" and provoking, or inspiring, responses will gradually slip down the list until they archive themselves. To archive what was still a very active thread smacks to me a little of censorship, and an abuse of the moderators' role. Even if only one or two are still contributing, several hundred, including me, may still be reading, with interest. Let's have it back please Laurie
Admin  
#26 Posted : 27 February 2003 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood This debate is very useful for us Council Members and Hazel summarised the position well from an 'official' point of view. You may be aware now that Council will be having a special meeting in June to debate 'the development of a competence-based membership structure for IOSH'. All Council members regard this as very important to existing and future members of our Institution and if you are interested, you can read a little more about the debate Council had at its 12 February Meeting from the Minutes, circulated to all SG Chairs and Branch Chairs/Secretaries - who will no doubt report on them to you in due course. This Thread discussion has many valid points and those with superior qualifications need not feel complacent! IOSH will only increase its strength from its inclusivity, by creating a competence structure that has appeal to those in practice at all levels as well as those with specialisms, who may practice occasionally or at a very 'senior' level, influencing significant decisions. We need room for them all and a noticeable absence is in some spcialist sectors which has people interested in IOSH and who can influence H&S standards through their own specialism - Health is one of these that is growing. Despite all the fine words, IOSH still cannot afford to drop corporate membership standards to perhaps include those 'experienced practitioners' who may not have scored much academically and who may not want the hassle of improvement in recognised standards through the NVQ route, for example. However, there should be a recognised route for all to attain - albeit at different levels of competence. There lies the difficulty. Should we go down the route of the Engineering Council and establish different grades of membership according to competence and have say, 3 grades? This would be like their current structure of Technician Engineer, Incorporated Engineer and Chartered Engineer. That gives three sets of post nominals, which IOSH currently has not indicated it wants. Can we exist in future with just one such as CSP, or CSHP as Hazel suggests, possibly excluding many from 'professional' inclusion? We need more of your views to make the debate sound and healthy in June. Please let your views be heard, not just through this forum, but in your Branches and Specialist Groups or in writing to any Branch oor SG Chair, Council Member, or to the Professional Affairs Committee at The Grange if you are unsure of who to write to. Get 'IOSH competence structure' on the agenda! Regards, George Wedgwood, Council Member and Chair Specialist Groups Management Committee
Admin  
#27 Posted : 27 February 2003 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Thanks for that George, obviously this is a topic which is getting a long hard look at.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 28 February 2003 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Nick(Higgingson). Nick, I read your comments with interest, and note that you belive that only those with acedemic qualifications should be be offered a chance to achieve the highest grades of membership. It is reported, for example by the Institution of Civil Engineers - ICE (a Chartered Body able to award the title Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer and Technician Engineer.) that they are improving their routes for members and propsective members to be more able to undertake a 'Mature Candidate' route to the highest levels of membership. Whilst I agree that there needs to be routes for all acedemically gifted persons to the highest level of membership, we cannot ingnore, nor should we, that many persons practice at a high level and achieve competence through practice. Even the ICE started in the backroom of pub in London and some 100's of years later is 'The' Institution to belong to if you are engaged in civil engineering. In response to the comment of Dave Wilson, a mature candidate route (as I though I had fully outlined above in my previous comments) was not a 'Grandfather Rights' method of obtaining membership - far from it, as any candidate taking this route would be required to demonstrate to their peers at interview etc, that they had the knowledge, experience and competence levels to attain the status, but simply not the acedemic paperwork to prove it. This is, I think you will agree, a little more complex than being given a passport/card because you have driven a particular type of mechanical plant for a number of years.... Finally, I am glad that it has been clarified that this issue will be debated by committee, however, my previous comments stand, that this issue is too important to simply be decided at a committee meeting. It must be debated fully by all members at local meetings and each (and every) member given the opportunity to vote on the path to be taken. I would suggest that committee could and should look at the prospective paths that could be taken, and options presented to members for discussion prior to any vote, or for members to indicate that another path from those suggested is prefered, but it should be by a full vote of 'all members'. Personally I would like to see local branches discussing this issue in open forum and their elected representatives tasked with taking the views of the majority back to IOSH committee. Hopefully this democratic route on the subject will be realised to be the correct one. Whilst we may discuss... sometimes at length (sorry !!) these matters here on the www site, the best forum I belive would be the regions and I would ask all to make the effort to attend such meetings - should they be put on the agenda. Of course this would also save a lot of www space.... how many to go before cut off now?
Admin  
#29 Posted : 28 February 2003 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Stuart, Please don't think I'm criticising, because I'm not, but I just don't get it. You said "......achieve competence through practice" indicating that competence can be achieved through practice alone. To me this is a contradiction in terms! Do we as Safety professionals not preach all the time the attributes needed to be classed as competent? Aren't these attributes a mixture of knowledge, training AND experience? Would you be happy to be operated on by a brain surgeon who had no medical qualifications, but had been carrying out brain surgery for 30 years? Would you allow an electrician with great experience of working with electricity to rewire your house if he told you he had no recognised qualifications? I thought we were trying to develop an institution to meet the challenges of the 21st Century and beyond, not emulate what some civil engineers thought up in the back room of a London pub? Kind regards, Nick
Admin  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan For those who might be thinking that a mature candidate route is an easy option and one that could downgrade the Institution consider the process in the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) which has been referred to on many occasions. The full details are available on http://www.ice.org.uk/rtfpdf/MCR_ICE_2004.doc I would point out a few relevant issues facing would be MCRs: 1. The Institution of Civil Engineers welcomes and encourages applications for Corporate and Non-Corporate membership from those who do not have the necessary academic qualifications. 2. The Mature Candidate Route (MCR) is designed to incorporate an Academic Assessment with the Professional Review. 3. You must be at least 35 years old to apply for MCR. 4. You must have had the minimum period of experience for the relevant grade of membership. For example, if you are applying for Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status you must have had not less than 15 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility. 2.1 The MCR consists of three stages:- i. An initial assessment ii. The written submission iii. The MCR Interview The initial assessment (Stage 1) includes; · Submitting a CV – “…covers your whole career and gives details of projects worked on and positions held…” · Production of a synopsis of your proposed Technical Report “…The synopsis must set out clearly how you intend to demonstrate your technical competence. You must identify the engineering principles involved…” · An indication of support from your mentor “…You must obtain the support of a mentor to undertake this route…” For Stage 2 you are required to prepare and complete: · Your Technical Report “…must offer an ordered and critical exposition of some aspect or aspects of civil engineering practice in which you have played a major part…” · A 2000-word Experience Report “…to demonstrate those parts of your experience that have made significant contributions to your personal development…” · Record of Continuing Professional Development “…you will be required to show evidence of a minimum of 25 days total CPD over the last five years of your career. Your CPD should demonstrate an awareness of current safety legislation and best practice…” Stage 3 includes · an Academic Assessment - presentation of and fielding questions on the technical report (see below) – Note you must complete this successfully before proceeding to the professional review. · a Professional Review, which “…to demonstrate that you have achieved a satisfactory level of professional competence that will allow your admission to the appropriate grade of membership…” This is certainly no easy option and CEng IEng and Technician Engineers who go through this route can equally be proud of their achievements and stand side by side with their fellow professionals who followed the more traditional academic route. One example of how onerous the route is is given in the assessment criteria for the technical report. The Technical report is to be assessed against the following criteria: 1. Knowledge 1.1. Engineering principles. 1.2. Appropriate application of a scientific approach. 1.3. Design concepts. 1.4. Analytical methods and tools. 2. Understanding 2.1. A feel for concepts and number capacities. 2.2. Application of technical standards. 2.3. Use of relevant engineering standards. 2.4. Knowledge of the limits of the given process/es. 2.5. Appropriate design methods. 3. Abilities 3.1. Creativity and innovation. 3.2. Use of theoretical principles to solve problems. 3.3. Communication skills. 3.4. Use of I.T. 3.5. Solutions to non-routine problems. 4. Awareness 4.1 Quality Systems. 4.2 Working with others. 4.3 The use of money as a resource. 4.4 Hazard/risk management. Legal, statutory and contractual matters. 4.5 Social & ethical commitment
Admin  
#31 Posted : 01 March 2003 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Nick My intuitive answer is yes and yes. If a person has great experience and a good track record then why not? An electrician can serve an apprenticeship without taking a single exam - it doesn't make them any less competent at wiring a house. Changing the subject slightly and purely on a personal note is the Diploma of 10 years ago (which consisted of 9 weeks full time training and then 5 exams) at the same level as a degree? My question is, how can a 9 week course be equated with a first degree that takes 3 years. It seems to me we are on sticky ground if a diploma is going to be accepted as the level for individual chartered status. Geoff
Admin  
#32 Posted : 05 March 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I support Stuart's views and again encourage all members to discuss the competence issue at Branch level. I believe that the proposed structure will cater for candidates' applications for Corporate Membership in specific cases where a Diploma or equivalent is not held - i.e. possible similar to the Mature Candidate's Route like the major Institutions have. Certainly IOSH Council may elect to adopt such entry criteria but it still would be subject to the competence criteria recommended to Council by the Professional Affairs Committee. In most cases, some sort of Degree will be a required criterion but I also expect to see criteria for those without. The outline of this criteria will be discussed in June, as will the details of the other formal routes.