Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2003 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aj Saunders Hi everyone I have been working in Health and Safety for seven years now, in the role of Safety Officer/Supervisor and would like to consider myself fairly experienced, at least to some degree, and have done the usual REHIS, IOSH, FPA certificate courses All my qualifications up to this point in H&S have been nothing startling, as all my professional qualifications are in Engineering. However i have decided to make the change in career and am seeking more formal qualifications so have went for the NEBOSH Certificate, and will be enrolling at uni for the degree. Anyway, i received my result letter for the Certificate and got the result : 1-1-5. The 5 being the practical assessment with a 6 required to pass.....There is no way in hell in scraped a pass in the practical. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the NEBOSH appeal process ? Rgds Aj Saunders
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mole No matter how you look at it you passed, congratulations and well done. I have spoken to several people who just sat certificate course all with good sound backgrounds, and most of which also only scapped thro' the practical. It would appear that only those with minimal knowledge of practical application to safety have faired well. In other words it's the way you answered...NEBOSH speak strikes again. When will they realise that experience means a hell of a lot.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aj Saunders Yes i suppose you are right. Doesnt half make me mad though. Thanx for reply
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2003 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Aj, It's disappointing when you aim high and don't get what you want, but try and take heart in the fact that you got 1-1 in the written papers. Not many people get that. Now send in those application forms for Part One Diploma - There's no practical! Regards, Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2003 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Aj Saunders Thank you. I think i will give the Nebosh Diploma route a miss, far too expensive, and the more i research other options the less practical it seems to be for me considering what else is available. I have more or less decided between 2 universtities offering Diplomas in Occ Safety & Health....and Safety & Risk Management.The good part being on successful completion IOSH membership exams are exempted. I wish i had done this a couple a few years ago. Thank you for all the comments Regards Aj
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Richardson I took my Nebosh certificate back in 1995 when I was still in the forces. After 23 years in the submarine service as an engineer I left the Navy not really knowing was sort of work I could get into. I spent 12 months as a supervisor working on a production manufacturing line before taking over the role as part time safety officer. Since then I have become a competent noise assessor and I have implemented ISO 14001 at my previouse plant. I am now a Safety and environmental officer at a plant employing 850 people. I still only have my Nebosh certificate. It's not that I don't want to gain full membership to IOSH because I do. I just don't seem to have the time to study for exams and my employer doesn't seem to want to stump up £4000 for the NVQ route. I know I'm a good safety and environment officer (so far as is reasonably practicable) because my track record shows it. It's the knowledge and experience you aquire and how you use it rather than the exams you take. Use what you've got and move forward. Dave
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2003 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Reference Dave's message, not sure of basis for his costing of £4000 for NVQ. We have an NVQ programme underway. In terms of registration and assessor fees our most expensive solution to date has been just over £2000 inclusive of (recoverable) VAT. Some of our candidates have been assessed on the basis of fees per half day assessment. With these candidates have achieved Level 4 with substantially less spent on assessment fees, typically about £1500. Good luck to both Aj and Dave! Peter
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2003 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel As a holder of the NEBOSH Diploma and others and after being involved over many years with various training / certification providers both in the UK and Europe [High Level degrees [Mathmatics / Physics etc]throught to a basic City and Guilds / CITB type programme] as a trainer and manager of numbers of employees who were put through professional exams etc my experience indicates that NEBOSH is the least helpful of any organisation that I have dealt with. This comment has been seconded on many an occasion by people at all levels in the profession. A number of people I have dealings with recently moved from NEBOSH to the Nottingham Trent programme and all agreed that it was much more streight forward and more information was freely given re exam assignment failures etc.