Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2003 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julian Pitty Patty Two linked questions if anyone can help. For care home workers ( looking after the elderley ) is the Hepatitis B jab recommended? And if so what is the cost - I have been given two costs so far - one at £15 and the other £95 ( from my local NHS Doctor but not on the NHS ). Thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2003 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I believe this is generally considered to range from a low to medium risk in care homes and that where a high incidence risk is expected immunisation of staff is recommended. Your local health and environmental health people should be able to advise. As to cost, I suspect that this is like many other things in health provision - ie depends upon who provides it and where you are. Health Service members please correct me if I'm wrong!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Firstly you should consider a risk assessment, as immunisation is not a control measure but a response to a mistake / accident. Secondly, if your organisation feels it is appropriate to immunise staff it may be cheaper to carry it out in-house, thus ensuring that all relevant staff are protected. Thirdly, my wife's immunisation for Hep B was carried out by her GP for the cost of a prescription, so ask about your GPs policy for woork related immunisation.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2003 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. If you carry out a Risk Assessment, the workers will fall in to a definate Risk Catagory, whether high, medium or low... I suspect medium - high. Their own G.P's may offer it to them free of charge... at least that's what my G.P. has done. (ex-Residential Social Worker). Failing that, should the Occupational Health Department/employer pay? afterall, if looked at from a preventative/protective measures point of view, could it vaugly be interpreted as a form of PPE? Albeit not gloves/goggles/mask.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2003 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Julian Have you looked at pages 19 and 20 of the HSE Guide to Care Homes (HSG220)? This gives guidance that supports the risk assessment approach that the previous responses talked about. In our organisation, we run care homes for people with learning disabilities and our policy is to recommend hep B for all staff. As for price, most GPs don't seem to charge but I have received bills in the past. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was about £15 to £20 per jab. I think several jabs are required to immunise properly - I think 3 to 4 - depending on the outcome of the tests that are done in-between each jab. So the cost could easily be between £45 to £80.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2003 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason I agree with the risk assessment approach that other respondents have recommended, but I do feel that as this is an occupational health matter, an occupational health physician should be consulted for advice on whether/who to vaccinate. In my opinion (and yes, it's only my opinion!) this is beyond the remit of safety officers. If you haven't got an occupational health service you could ask your local Employment Medical Advisory Service. Regards Diane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2003 21:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marilyn Martin Hi Julian You need to contact your local Public Health Office and speak with the Consultant or Senior Nurse. They will advise you on current policy. Your risk assessment will obviously have taken into account how much contact the staff have with body fluids, sharps, violent or unpredictable clients that may bite/scratch Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, the recommendation in similar circumstances was not necessary to vaccinate this type of care worker, but to ensure they all have training to cover the following: Your company policy Your company procedures in event of them sustaining bite injury, needlestick injury or similar. Keep cuts covered and report if contact with body fluids to open wound Reporting incidents to line manager Ensure the line managers know the procedures in place! Procedure recommended for those exposed to body fluids in these types of situations would be for affected person to see GP and/or A& E for administration of immunoglobulin if deemed necessary. Hope this helps Marilyn Martin