Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Can anybody help me !?! I am the Health and Safety Advisor for a company who work in an open plan office. In this office there is an inner room which is the designated smoking room. The room has one external wall which is windowed. The problem we are experiencing is that the smoke is seeping ou of the room into the office area and causing staff discomfort. We looked into fitting a window extraction fan but this is impossible due the window being reinforced glass. Aside from banning smoking altogether does anybody of any air conditioning/extraction systems which are suitable ? ThankS !!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2003 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Roots Vicky It may still be possible to install some type of ventilation system, it all depends on the construction of the office. If you want any more advice, either email me at steve.roots@gleeds.co.uk or give me a call on 07985 003979 Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Holliday If you get "Health and Safety At Work" check page 20 of the December issue. Or www.smokefreesystems.com ,e-mail: london@smokefreesystems.com I have no idea if this product works I just remember seeing the advert. Hope it helps.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2003 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Dont want to start the anti / pro smoking debate again but have the 'smokers' been approached and informed of the discomfort they are causing? You will probably find that they do not, so maybe they may be persuaded to move to another location to 'have a tab' if possible. Heirarcy of Risk management etc Number One - Eliminate the risk if possible. Management Decision V cost of A/C and all the running and maintenance costs etc, not to mention the time 'Lost' having the fag! may be worthwhile advertising "National NO Smoking Week" which is normally in March and try to get them to stop. Just a thought!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2003 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Why can't you replace the pane of glass by one with hole in it to accommodate the extractor? Does the door have a self-closer? Could the smokers be sent somewhere else?