Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2003 22:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Could you please reinstate this thread. If contributors to the forum lose interest it will naturally fall out of the ratings - it's called natural selection. Further, could you explain on this forum who makes this type of decision? and under what rationale? Geoff Burt
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Zzzzhhhhhh !! Quite frankly, this is becoming a monotoneus topic. I was of the understanding that IOSH had covered all the issues raised in the initial thread. Apologies for the response but there are "other" IOSH members who are gald to see the back of it on this forum. This type of topic should be discussed directly with IOSH and the forum left for members (or non members) to seek information, post questions, answer questions etc and not to debate structural business plans. Surely these are issues that can be tackled confidentially. I may be alone on this view but at least I've got my point accross.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young There appears to be a growing disquiet amongst members regarding the whole subject of the relevance of chartered status and also how it will affect the different membership grades. Whilst on the face of it, chartered status will benefit everyone in the Institution, despite many postings having called for it, there is a distinct lack of concrete evidence to tell us how it will do this. This coupled with the ongoing uncertainty of how a new grading structure will affect members seems to suggest that from the outset there has been a lack of clear information from council regarding these issues. Now we are told that the old "Chartered" thread has been archived, why? This thread has run succesfully for many weeks and has shown that, apart from the usual "party liners", there is disquiet in the ranks and that more information is required from Council. Before this thread is archived, Council should give clear, unambiguous information and answer the questions asked. If this had been done in the first instance, this thread would have been archived ages ago.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The argument for archiving the thread being given as the long download time, my response stated on another related thread was: [Angela, could you arrange an amendment to the forum to the effect that one normally only downloads the last 25 responses but with an option to download all if preferred?] However, as it appears that there are readers prepared to incur this time penalty in order to continue the discussion I can see no reason why we should not be permitted to retain ready access to an issue of evident continuing interest to forum visitors.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2003 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I do not think that members or non members really appreciate what is going on with 'Chartered' status for Safety Professionals. If what I can gather is muted through these pages is that if you are MIOSH,RSP then you are OK for CSP, the access to this 'CSP' level will be 'by 1st level degree' and unless you have this then you will not become Chartered Safety Practitioner (CSP) in the future. This is the requirement of the Awarding body for chartered status and IOSH do not have a choice about this (correct me if I am mistaken), what is missing is clear direction on how this will be implemented and to what extent it will affect existing members and prospective members. Now, how many full corporate members in IOSH? Who has the voting rights (%) and who hasn't? The majority of members in IOSH are not in this arena and you may find that non corporate members are alienated from CSP status, when it comes to the 'consultation' and subsequent 'vote' who are the people with this vote and who will as a result benefit? This thread is so, so ,so important and clear unambiguous direction is required. I for the benefit of people out there have a vote being a full corporate member so this is not sour grapes etc etc. Remember if you are a non corporate member, struggling at present for NEBOSH Dip/MSC/PGD whats it going to be like in the future.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2003 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim I agree with Geoff the Chartered Status thread is topical and was interesting to those of us who where either participating in it and I assume to the many who were observing it’s progress from the sidelines. What was the justification for archiving it? The reason given certainly appears to be spurious. I had more to say on the matter but Philip [text reproduced below] has already said it in response to website co-ordinator on Stuart’s thread. ""Chartered status" [is] now archived to let other discussions like this one develop". What authority is being invoked to close a debate that is still very active and has held the interest of many readers, (over 21 thousand viewings with several thousand in the past week or so)? Have the controllers of this website decided that there are certain debates which are preferable [had to correct your spelling here Philip – you know how some people get upset by spelling mistakes :-) ] and that others are to be "archived", i.e. prevented from developing any further, because of their preference. This thread is interesting. So is "Chartered Status", but the actions of closing down "chartered status" raises very serious questions and concerns about the openness, fairness and integrity of this forum. Put "Chartered Status" back on-line and allow readers to study and develop all debates and not simply those, which the co-ordinators prefer. Fraternally Philip” In response to Tony who is glad to see it removed – Your opinion is valid and is to be valued however if you go to the cinema and don’t like the movie would you expect the cinema to be closed down? Tim
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2003 08:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Tim, I didn't get that ! What the point is that those sort of threads are better dealt with on a face to face situation with IOSH. This type of topic does not do much to encourage "would be" members to our profession. Nothing personal to those who have an obsession with complaining at all.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2003 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Tony, I may be wrong but you seem to be saying this forum should be used exclusively to help each other deal with practical health and safety problems. I think it does that and very well. But surely it is also valid to discuss issues concerned with the profession and it's professional body. If you don't want to be involved with such threads don't open them; that there have been some 20000 hits would suggest others do. It's an open discussion with people sharing/debating views with others. Of course there is a place for face to face discussions but not everyone has that opportunity and the discussions may not be communicated with others. But for discussions like this many of us would have a much shallower understanding of chartered status and it's implications for us. Debate should be encouraged not swept under the carpet because it's a bit embarrassing.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Its interesting all this dicussion over what we need to get to the CSP level, therefor as a mere TechSP down the bottom of the ranks Ive posted a CDP thought on the Study forum. Ash
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2003 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Threads get opened simply because they are at the top of the list on the forum. For example, if you have twenty people who have a disagreement with IOSH's structure and they each reply to say twenty similar people then that post has 400 reponses. It keeps therefore staying at the top of the list and gathering more and more hits. I don't think that say 20 people represent enough opinion to justify argument. Whilst it is clear that certain members have strong opinions on this issue, it is also clearly evident that there is a sustantial amount of members who are not that concerned either. Yes, I do feel that this forum should be for posts on health and safety but I feel that such issues must be debated on a face to face basis.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Tony This is the only forum available to all members where people can properly bounce ideas about. Perhaps you could outline your face to face meetings idea bearing in mind we have 26000 busy members. just how exactly would that work? You do not have to read each thread - I discriminate by subject title, there are large numbers I don't open. That is your choice - if you are bored by a thread, certainly you can criticise but my answer to you would be - stop reading it. The removal of threads, for whatever reason, is censorship. You obviously don't see that point. Luckily a number of us do. Geoff
Admin  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2003 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall I might just read them, just to get the hits up, but as you infer, I won't comment as people may get the impression that only one viewpoint counts.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2003 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt What?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 28 February 2003 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall This will be my last post on this topic Geoff. What I mean is that surely you don't expect everyone to agree with your views. It appears that you don't like the fact that I disagree with certain issues that you have on IOSH's development and how this sets high standards for the future. This is very much in it's infancy so lets hope it's to the benefit of all members. Let's also hope that it sets good standards for safety professionals, and in the long run put's a higher price on this profession. On a professional level, I apologise if the subject is sensitive.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Tony You wrote 'This will be my last post on this topic Geoff. What I mean is that surely you don't expect everyone to agree with your views. It appears that you don't like the fact that I disagree with certain issues that you have on IOSH's development and how this sets high standards for the future. This is very much in it's infancy so lets hope it's to the benefit of all members. Let's also hope that it sets good standards for safety professionals, and in the long run put's a higher price on this profession. On a professional level, I apologise if the subject is sensitive.' You've changed the subject - my issue was allowing members to discuss any relevant topics on this site and the removal of threads. Your previous postings support the removal of threads and restricting topics. Of course I don't expect everybody to support my views - but I do expect rational responses. I get the impression you do not like being questioned on your views. Something that seems to happen with alarming regularity on this type of topic. Ironic, don't you think? Geoff
Admin  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2003 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Tony, I have no problem with people having different points of view nor with them expressing them vigorously. But I reserve the right to disagree. I know you might have to open a particular thread once to see what it's about but once you have found that it is of no interest you don't have to keep returning to it. Surely better for you to resist the temptation than for the thread to be removed so no one can see it!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 28 February 2003 16:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Guys It is time to get back to the issues. Chartered status. Why? What losses? What benefits? What next? Tim
Admin  
#18 Posted : 28 February 2003 20:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle In response to Tony Birchall's Comments: I aggree with you... I think this web site is for members to express their views and exercise interest in issues that are topical. That is why we are debating the issues of CSP !! Whilst we may have bored you rigid, as it seems from your comments Tony, you do not have to take part in this debate - as you rightly state... Yes we could all glog IOSH's switchboard, or we could all write to IOSH, I personally think a frank and open debate here however, is of more value and likely, as you rightly state, to appraise persons of the ongoings within IOSH and the views of it's membership.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 01 March 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie At the back end of last year I commented that despite some members' concerns about the way IOSH is going the current open debate was an indication that that the underlying health of the Institute was good. The arbitrary removal/closure/archiving of a thread is a much more serious symptom Laurie
Admin  
#20 Posted : 05 March 2003 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Before this thread is lost, can we have an answer to Geoffs initial request.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 06 March 2003 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ron I don't know why IOSH have not responded - these are two straightforward questions. Perhaps it has been an arbitrary decision which no one is willing to take responsibility for. In the absence of a reply we can only speculate. Will it happen again though? Geoff
Admin  
#22 Posted : 06 March 2003 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Geoff, There appears to be a concensus that threads of this type/subject are not wanted by the powers that be. Therefore, bearing this in mind and to answer your last question, yes, it will happen again. Ron