Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2003 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier I would like to ask if anyone else has come across the following scenario: When anything needs to be done that is a little bit controversial, it needs to be done for Health and Safety reasons. If someone has a problem with another department a Health and Safety slant is put into the argument so that it “becomes a Health and Safety issue”. Is it me or have others come across this type of situation where H&S is used in the broadest terms as a means of beating up other people or departments?. Consequently giving H&S a bad boy image. Just needed to get it of my chest really. Your views on how to combat this “disease” would be useful
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Morrison This happens so many times, everything suddenly becomes a health and safety issue. It generally happens when managers are too weak to manage and want to hide behind someone else. So many simple issues could be sorted out without it becoming a health and safety issue.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I suspect we all experience this problem. It's what my director calls "shroud waving". They tend to go quiet when you ask them to submit a risk assessment.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2003 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I'm aware that some employees try to use me as a weapon to belt the management with. Its just something you have to learn to deal with.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier It is heartening to hear that it affects others as well. Thanks for your replies.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2003 19:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie It never ceased to amaze me how many people knew more about health and safety than I did! Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 February 2003 23:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE MCMAHON Good evening guys ,nice to see i'm not alone . Sure we're all alone in the field , but there are beneffits , Kudos , education , respect ,free aurguments ( addictive after a time ) AND , the prospect , that ONE day after all OUR hard work ( for our members/ etc ) , we can make something out of it , ie; CV etc . therefore everyone wins.My personal problem is ... how to keep Lost Time Accidents at a low , when I know from personal experience , that certain managers will - - cook the book's ??? ( hard for me to swallow ) to suit . A very dangerous road to follow . Truthfull and helpfull replies only guys please ??
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2003 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Street MIOSH,RSP Simon, this is a cultural problem,in workplaces with poor safety culture safety is used and abused by managers and workers alike. My experience is that the application of HSG (65) chapter 3 organising for safety and the attention to the 4 C's control, competence, communication and co-operation tends to remedy the situation
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2003 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan I would like to say that maybe a better safety culture need to be created in this organization by the top management. They need to ensure all the employees to be empowered by HSE, the Area Authorities need to responsible for fixing the problems...
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 March 2003 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I'm afraid I find Kevin's response a bit smug. Many of us would love to be in a position where management would recognize, let alone apply, the principles of HSG 65 Laurie
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Street MIOSH,RSP Laurie, thanks for your input, add sarcasm to smug! Look at this professionally we as safety people have different functions as Managers, Officers or Advisors but principally we are employed to ensure our Organisations remain out of the courts. How we do that is by following the guidance, regulations and advice from those who can put us there i.e. HSE. Whether you can influence your employer into excepting/complying is the challenge we all face. Smug! . Not me, perhaps confident, determined, professional, influential but never complacent. Sounds like you’re a bit of a defeatist.