Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Fox. Can anybody enlighten me as to a reasonable cost under the Display Screen Regs, that an employer is expected to pay for a pair of spectacles, given the fact that it has been established the employee requires them to undertake his/her job function.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2003 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson A way round this is if you come to anagreement with a reputable opticians who will provide a test and / or corrcetive lenses then you will get a base cost. Once you have done this then you can say that we the employer will reimburse up to a total of £xx as this is the unit price we have agreed. Until then you can ask what is the price for a basic lens and frame and that is what you will have to pay the employee, anything over and above is borne by the individual. That said if the employer allowed the emplyee to go and get them without parameters set, then I would suggest that you foot the bill and set some employee guidlines ASAP. Hope this helps!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Graham, I do have some difficulty in understanding why an employer should pay for glasses "required" for vdu operation. Maybe I am short sighted, but if it is a question of "readability", then reading glasses would be required by the employee. I don't know if any employer pays for reading glasses. I don't see that it is a matter of safety. (where I do recommend that prescription glasses are paid for fully, where required by the exposure) Glare can be taken care of by careful sighting of screens with reference to lights and windows. If that is a problem then glare filters can be fitted to the screens themselves. Which seems to be standard practice, probably because it is fairly cheap. Other problems can be dealt with by following the appropriate guidelines. Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2003 08:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Merv The eyesight tests and provision of corrective lenses where necessary are described in Regulation 5. Employers are obliged to pay for them if the person needs then and normal corrective appliances cannot be used. For instance, in my case I wear bifocals, and the reading part of my bifocals is not adequate for two reasons - one is the unnatural angle that I would have to hold my head to be able to read a screen straight ahead of me, and the other is that the distance is wrong. The reading part of my bifocal does not focus at a normal screen distance, nor does the distance part. As it happens, my natural near point is in about the right place, so I take my glasses off altogether for screen work. Jane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Reading some of the above made me think of something Owen Tudor (HSC Member) said at yesterday's launch of the new HSE guidance on DSE (at the RSI Association's conference in Nottingham): "Key Message: The DSE Regulations are not new and the time for excuses is over!" I don't reproduce it here just in relation to eye-sight testing but to all DSE matters; I just thought the comment was interesting and might be relevant here.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carol Ross When we wrote our DSE procedure in 1996 we had a deal with opticians whereby employees could obtain a range of glasses for DSE work for £45. However that deal lapsed some time age and it is only recently that I discovered on phoning around the opticians that the standard price now appears to be £90 on average. However I have you to find a company who are paying out this amount to their staff, ones I have spoken to pay out an average £45.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SPCostello We are a heavy engineering company and we see safety as a business benefit we provide the following safety spectacles free of charge to our people For General and DSE work Progressives Bifocal Varifocal We have an approved supplier and pay no more than £90.00 for any product. If you would like details then please contact me. Best Regards spostello@sanwal.co.uk
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2003 23:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Rose I have just redone our DSE procedure and found the best way was to get a selection of prices from opticians around the area we operate and came up with £20 towards eyesight test and £55 towards corrective lenses REgs do not give a figure
Admin  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2003 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen I have just had a flyer from specsavers. they are currently offering a very good deal for companies. You buy books of vouchers at £35 per person, and this pays for an eye sight test and a basic pair of spectacles if they are required. If not, then the employee can select a pair of sunglasses. However, this option is not available until April