Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2003 02:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan Hi, I have several issues met during daily safety works, could anybody help to the answers of all/some of them? Thanks 1. We know halons is a non-environmental material for fire fighting, how many kinds of chemicals can be called halon totally? 2. The first and most basic safety principle at DuPont is that all injuries are preventable, BP's hse target is 0 fatality accident, 0 DAFW, 0..., if you are hse person and people question you: "since it is said like that, why did accidents happen?", how to answer this question? 3. How to convience people to wear safety glass in a friendly and believable way before their excuses of moisture on the lens, uncomfortable to wear...? 4. Does anybody can give me some education about QRA(both quantitative and qualititive risk assessment)? 5. about the defination of incident and accident, when a attend a safety training, the coatch said "never said accident, because very thing happened there will be a reason"... But I see several good accident definations, could you help to define the difference of inccident and accident except the spell?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2003 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Luan There are many types of halon. The word stands for halogenated hydrocarbon, and the halogens are fluorine, chlorine, bromine and iodine. The commonest halons are Halon 1301 and 1211 commonly used in fire extinguishers. In the name the first digit tells you how many carbon atoms, the second digit the number of fluorine atoms, the third digit the number of chlorine atoms, the fourth the bromine and the fifth digit the number of iodine atoms. Anything unaccounted for is hydrogen. So halon 104 is carbon tetrachloride - one carbon, 4 chlorine. They are being phased out because they react with ozone when the waft up into the upper atmosphere, and destroy it very efficiently. Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Luan I recently updated our accident reporting and investigation forms. I tried to define the terms. I looked at Croners Health & Safety Manager: ACCIDENT (HSG65 definition)= 'any undesired circumstances which give rise to ill health or injury; damage to property, plant, products or the environment; product losses or increased liabilities' INCIDENT (Summary of IOSH definition) = undesired circumstances and near misses with the potential to cause accidents. However, these go against my desire for plain English - see my recent thread! There was another problem. I work in an organisation that runs care homes for people with learning difficulties. Our managers believe 'accident' means accidental and 'incident' means deliberate such as violence or aggression. I gave-up trying to define the terms. I just ask people to record all 'Incidents and Accidents' including near misses. They also have to investigate anything over 3 days off work (Or in the case of our clients - not being able to do normal activities for 3 or more days). I also stress the reasons for doing this - to update risk assessments and prevent a re-occurrence.' Just another bit of useless information. I gather in the US, that police don't refer to 'road traffic accidents'. They call them 'crashes' - because they believe that 'accident' implies accidental.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan Jane, Thanks for your information making my mind clear. Nigel, Thanks for your definations and some additional infromation. From the defination of incident and accident, it seems they are excluded each other. my unstanding before is that the scope of incident can cover the scope of accidnet, which is right please? could Nigel or anybody can help? Could any body help on other questions? they are suspended in my mind for a long period... Thanks
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2003 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Luan I'm not sure either whether 'incident' includes or excludes 'accidents'. Propably depends which text book you read. I'm sure there will be plenty of nice people on this forum that will help! Regards Nigel
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2003 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Luan I think you will never define incident or accident precisely to everyone's satisfaction, because both words are used in everyday language. Even if we do succeed in defining the words to our satisfaction, we still have to communicate with those who have not been on our training courses and have not gone through the process of thinking about what the words mean. The health and safety person likes to look for root causes. However, in everyday life people often use the word accident to imply that nothing could have prevented it. I believe that this is the reason that those studying H&S are confronted with a trainer who is trying to make us think about our definition. We should be aware of the fact that people describing an accident to us may already have decided that it was something that could not have been prevented, simply because their perception of accident has a degree of helplessness attached to it. I don't loose too much sleep in trying to teach my colleagues what I mean by the two words. Instead I tell them to report anything where some person or thing was damaged, and near misses - the ...... "Phew, thank goodness I wasn't in the way of that" moments. Jane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I once visited a factory where they'd kept a pair of goggles that had been in an accident where a piece of metal had flown up and got stuck in the lens. Without the goggles the man wearing them would have been blinded and possibly killed. The factory handed the goggles round at induction sessions and it made people realise the value of eye protection. Maybe something like this would work for you?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2003 07:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan Thanks for everyboday's help. Can anyone help on the 2nd question? I realized it is about understanding of safety, but I can not explain it logically ...
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2003 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Luan I am not sure that I can agree that all injuries are preventable, because human beings are not perfect. Can you honestly say you have never accidentally tripped over your own feet? There are also instances where we have to learn from experience, but not let one really unusual incident make us lose sight of the more common hazards. In my previous job we had a secretary who was carrying a box of 'poly pockets', the plastic wallets that you can put in lever arch files. The box was partially open and most of them fell out just in front of her. She stepped on them, slipped (they are incredibly slippery), and broke her hip. Should we have foreseen that and avoided it? What was the reasonable thing to do after the accident? Make it the subject of a written procedure? Or what? I tend to use what I believe is a fairly realistic goal - to look for the reasonably foreseeable and reasonably readily prevented as a priority. Jane
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Luan, Quantitative Risk Assessment is a type of risk assessment used to predict the likelihood of an undesired event occurring using numerical techniques. It was pioneered in the nuclear industry because there was no historical evidence on which to base risk assessments. Today it is commonly used in the process industry to determine the level of risk in plant both on and offshore handling hazardous substances and Flammable gasses/liquids. A very simple example would be as follows for an offshore installation handling flammables: There is a likelihood that a leak of flammable material will occur. This will be dependent on known factors eg the number of flanges or valves in a system but it will also depend on some factors which have to be estimated eg the likelihood of corrosion or a release ocurring during mainteance intervention (sometimes this information may be available from historical tables maintained by companies like DNV) If a leak occurs it has to form a stoichiometric mixture and find an ignition source before an explosion occurs. Figures for the probability of this happening are available or can be estimated. Finally is anyone in the area when this happens? Occupancy figures can be determined by survey and applied to decide the final figure. Is every one in the vicinity killed if an explosion occurs or could they escape? This can be taken further eg is the explosion contained or does it escalate? If escalate, then is sufficient time available to allow people to escape by helicopters or lifeboats ie does the temporary refuge have sufficient endurance to allow this to happen? This process can be illustrated graphically in the form of a tree where each decision is shown as a branch leading ultimately to the least desired event ie one or more fatalities. The probability of the fatality occurring is expressed as "one in n years". Typically any risk of individual fatality greater than 1 in a 1000 years is considered unacceptable. This is not an exact science and a lot depends on the assumptions made. It is therefore difficult to compare the QRA of two installations because different assumptions may have been applied. The best you can do is demonstrate that your own process has been rigorous and comes out with an answer that is the right area, if not you have a lot of remedial work to do on your plant. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2003 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan thanks for everybody's help. Luan
Admin  
#12 Posted : 05 March 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Luan Some times we say fire wall has 60' or 30' fire proof ability, could anybody help on the standards for defining these numbers? Thank you!