Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2003 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Beverley Russell Does anybody know about an EU directive that states that bollards must be at least 1 metre out of the ground to make it safer for wheel chair users? Many thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2003 17:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster From the Dept. of Transport Traffic Advisory Leaflet 04/93 Bollards: "To assist visually impaired people the bollards should not be less than 1m in height, and should incorporate a clear colour contrast around the top." So Bollards to the EU, the DoT thought of it before the DDA came into being. I just wonder, then, why they are usually painted a uniform black?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2003 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Hi, Bev! Fortunately we only have to obey UK law over here at present. I have not seen mention of the EU directive but the old DoT standard is advisory and relates to bollards on the public highway. As to those in workplaces I would agree that they should be high enough and visible enough for those present but simple risk assessment would seem a realistic approach at present. Ken