Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2003 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone At present we have around 1000 staff (600 teaching staff, 400 support staff), who use DSE at various times. Not many of these have workstation assessments carried out. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can tackle this? It needs to be quick and easy to use. These staff are in at various times and days. Thanks Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Ian, there are several quick & easy forms about, the one on the downloads page of http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbsf is in word format and can be freely downloaded and adapted. Try the safety site too - address on the links page
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ian I'm not sure what you mean by quick and easy to use. Each assessment should take as long as it needs especially if the user is experiencing some problems. Also the assessment should be looked at as a means of offering/providing instruction at the workstation. Or are you looking for self assessment forms? Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2003 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Geoff At present the staff fill out a self assessment form, and I will get around and give them advice, guidance etc when I can (its only me to cover these 1000 staff over 15 sites!) A self assessment form needs to be something they will want to do, and not long as they all complain about time constraints
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2003 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt This is an interesting one Ian. Does self assessment meet the requirements of the regs? Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2003 21:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I used the standard HSE form, but on a self assessment basis. Send the form out to all users, and then prioritise your responses - those staff who tick the "No" column for any aspect need to be checked first. As regards staff co-operation, I was "reluctant", though obviously I could not refuse, to authorise a free eye test without a self assessment being completed Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2003 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Once I have received the assessment Im trying to prioritise and go out and give advice and offer support.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Neal - thanks for the link to the Scottish Borders Safety Forum - very useful! Ian, Don't know if it helps much but our approach was, after the initial flurry of assessments were made, to make the DSE Assessment a mandatory requirement in the Induction package to be completed and returned within 2 weeks of starting (immediate for any temporary staff or transfers). The point regarding re-assessment after change of circumstance was one that we've not really considered fully, but instinct would be to add it to the annual appraisal ("have your working conditions changed since the last appraisal?") to make sure that it is covered. Of course, managers should really be pro-active in this by making sure that staff changing their work conditions are given the assessment shortly afterwards, not wait a possible 11-12 months before addressing it! Unfortunately, this Regulation has always carried the danger of becoming a worthless paper exercise where staff "record" their assessment and conditions don't really change. Many organisations do this exercise with the intention of carrying out the word of the law, not the spirit, and this becomes the wrong message to send out. Once again, it needs to have the committment of those who hold the purse strings to ensure that it is a worthwhile exercise to perform.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2003 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis The way I aproach this problem, is to train DSE assessors in various locations. These people need to be competent in what they do , a person trained in the regulations and health effects, ergonomics etc, usually I do this in half a day the ideal person being the supervisors for each area, they will also have the resources to allocate financial resources to fix any issues that may crop up, and they will take ownership of the problems themselves. By doing it this way it splits the task up and if any alterations or moves take place in that area, the assessor can easily re-visit the assessment with out involving you, unless there is a particular issue thy require advice on!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Ian We have employed a commercial company to develop an assessment that we can put on our intranet. This provides information (and computer-generated images) for users, and helps managers to keep track of who has done the assessment and who hasn't. Our own Health and Safety professionals are having an input into the wording of the assessment, thereby meeting the "competent person" element of the assessment. Overall it works out aroud £1.00 per employee. Drop me an e-mail if you need further info.... Cheers, Eric
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 March 2003 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber I know I'm a bit late on this one but here is my contribution. I have used several methods to carry out this task ranging from buildings containing 3000 people to 15000 people spread over 23 countries. The truth is that you can never achieve 100% individual assessments; and you are not required to do so. The regulations require that a workstation analysis is carried out. If all your workstations are the same you can analyse the design, height, adjustability, etc in a single assessment. I think we need to remember what the intention of this legislation is, that is to ensure that people are provided with suitable workstations and if necessary people suffering discomfort are assisted. My current method is to announce my arrival on site and ask people to contact me if they have any problems. I then see those people (usually about 1 to 5% of the population). I also carry out a Macro overview of the site. We have lots of information on our web site which enable people to learn about the risks and assess their own needs. The key is information. If you get your purchasing and office planning right you can avoid most of the pitfalls. Another method I have seen used is something they called a Sweep where a person would spend about 5 minutes with individuals and show them how to adjust their furniture, postural advise, etc. This was incredibly effective if extremely mind numbing for the assessor especially if the people you are speaking to don't speak English. There are many ways but I always prefer to get the most for my money and focus on the small minority that suffer rather than spend endless amounts of money with people who are totally comfortable. And believe me if they are comfortable sitting in their weird positions they are not going to sit up straight just because you tell them to! The point is to raise awareness
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 March 2003 21:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marilyn Martin Ian You have obviously had a number of replies already. You do need to consider that self assessment is not valid unless personnel have sufficient understanding of the effects of good/poor workstation set up. As some others have suggested, in an organisation as large as yours, it is better to have key persons trained as DSE advisers. Group sessions can be held with these people to cover posture, seating,general workstation setup, highlight key problems. This should include a practical element. It would then be ok for a self assessment form to be completed and returned to the Key Person. They could then review the assessments and decide which personnel require further in-depth assistance e.g. special seating, adjustments. It is also important that Line Managers are trained to understand their role for ensuring that recommended actions are undertaken following the assessment, within a reasonable time scale!!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2003 23:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Debbie Rose I am presently pilotting an e learning DSE training and assessment package within our work place. It is quite positive and hopefully will be continuing with it. It starts with a training package then goes onto a question and answer and then on to risk assessment. At the moment I have only got access to the management system of it but I can see and prioritse who needs individual assessments also. If you want further info let me know
Admin  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2003 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber I also know of an excellent Computer Based Training Package that is fully interactive and can be customised to your organisation. If anyone is interested e-mail me at huberp@eorm.com
Admin  
#15 Posted : 07 March 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Hi Ian From your description, most of these people are not "users" under the criteria laid out in the DSE Regs, so there is no requirement to do any assessment. This is a point raised by me recently and discussed at length on the forum, however, please be aware of Regulation 11 of the Workplace Regulations involving workstations and seating, but even here there is no requirement to assess. Some people will obviously respond by saying that the Management Reg's apply, but this only requires that a risk assessment is documented where there is "significant" risk. So if you do the provide a suitable workstation e.g. chair, desk, hardware/software, environment etc. then you could argue that the risk assessment was done at the design stage and "significant" risk was desinged out. The major advantage of this will be that there is no need to do individual assessments. However, to cover for people who have individual problems, can I suggest that a general email is sent to all employees instructiing them to report any issues. This will allow the ergonomic aspect of user/workstation interface still to be taken into account and addressed. This will hugely reduce the volume of assessments you have to do whislt still comply with H&S legislation, whilst saving significant costs to your organisation and still allowing you to respond to individuals with a problem. I think some people may argue against my point e.g. consultants who do DSE assessments, but if you look very carefully at all the reg's, I think my opinion will be confirmed. Another advantage is that this will also reduce the risk of any potential civil claim for breach of statutory duty. I don't charge for this by the way, unlike some of the circling sharks of consultants that use this forum as their kill zone. Good luck buddy John