Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2003 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman I would appreciate some help with a risk assessment for the following event which took place recently. A company recently towed a vehicle away with motorist still inside. The company which did the towing did so by using one of these types of vehicles which has a hydraulic lifting arm to remove the car from its existing place to place it onto a recovery vehicle. It then drove to the city pound with the person still in the vehicle. Regards, Dot
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2003 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson This must be illegal!!!!!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2003 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman Please everyone, I could really do with the help here. My Boss has asked for this risk assessment to be done as he saw the incident take place and wants to know the implications of the event. I'm not sure where to start as I know nothing of the legal implications of much about this type of recovery vehicle. Dot
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Dot, Might be worthwhile phoning the local Police Traffic section and ask them if this is legal as if it isn't then the RA is immaterial. I presume that the person inside the car was not a willing passenger, therefore an even more risky practice. Phone the RAC / AA and ask them what their stance is on this and why? If this company are employed by a LA then ask them what their slant is.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The RAC and AA do this when they cannot undertake the breakdown repair on the carriageway and want the vehicle in a place of safety first, their own safety that is! They often use a tow bar and believe me that is scary when you are in the car. But a driver is necessary to assist vehicle control. I don't understand why the course of action was taken - ask the recovery driver he may not have had a passenger space. Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2003 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Dot Not quite sure of the status of the towed vehicle. Was it towed away because it was parked illegally. If so, the towing company would presumably be an employer and has a duty for the health and SAFETY of non-employees (Joe Public). So...... if Joe Public sat on the bonnet of his / her car to prevent it being towed away, the towing company would presumably (after having carried out a risk assessment) decide that they could not hoist it onto the back of their truck as it was too dangerous, hence putting them in breach of h&s legislation. Just imagine the scenario - Joe Public is about to get their car towed away..... so they sit on the bonnet.... the towing company proceed to carry out the lift.... Joe Public calls the HSE to issue a Prohibition Notice.... Surely there must be another dimension to this scenario in terms of road safety - keeping the roads free of illegally parked cars. An interesting one.... Eric
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman Thank you for your responses. The person involved seemingly got into the car to stop the company towing away his car (it was to do with parking on yellow line). Surely the question should be asked as to whether this company carried out a suitable risk assessment to include carrying a passenger. I'm sure that wouldn't be covered by a generic risk assessment! ACOP 5(1) of LOLER talk about the raising or lowering of people by work equipment which is not specifically designed for the purpose, should only be undertaken in exceptional circumstances. Also are the crane and lifting accessories deemed as 'suitable for lifting persons' by the makers (guidance 8 paragraph 278 suggests that (the safe working load for equipment used to lift persons when not specifically designed for the purpose should be derated by a suitable amount such as 50% to provide an adequate (enhanced) factor of safety). On that note - has the crane been thoroughly examined in accordance with Regulation 9(3)(a)(i) specifically, have the crane and all the accessories been examined within an interval of 6 MONTHS and not the usual 12 months! What about the risk to the passenger if he decided to open his car door whilst traveling on the back of the towtruck, did they think about that. Where was the information, instruction and training for him. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Dot
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan Dot, Dont't get bogged down looking at LOLER or any other safety legislation. The driver was committing an offence by parking on the yellow lines. The "enforcing company" may well have also committed an offence by taking a person against their will. Speak to the police, there are issues far wider than pure H&S here.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I agree, this is nothing to do with H&S. Sounds more like kidnap to me. Pass your boss onto the lawyers.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2003 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster It's beginning to sound as if it was your boss, or someone close to him, who was towed away, and now he's looking to you to provide him with the ammunition to retaliate against the enforcing contractors. OK, they are probably guilty of abduction and a string of H&S offences, and he of reckessness in trying to stop the action by getting into his car as it was being lifted, but involving you as Health & Safety Officer/Adviser is a misuse of your time and expertise, I would suggest.