Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2003 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield I'm looking at a project where oversailing of tower cranes over adjacent properties is a potential issue. Though not being an expert in such plant I do appreciate that the working radius etc can be limited during operation, but at night the jib is generally left free to turn with the wind, meaning they may then oversail such properties. Can anyone advise me whether or not the same is same true for 'rear pivoted luffing jib' tower cranes, or can they effectively be locked in position, thus eliminating such problems? Thanks in anticipation. Oliver
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2003 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Oliver, If the jib were to be locked in position it is liable to adversely affected when the wind blows up. Tower cranes are designed to be free to turn when not in use. Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2003 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Peter Thanks for the reply. I understand the need for the jib to be free so it is not adversely affected by wind, particularly with horizontal type jibs. Though I suppose with a luffing jib tower crane, even if it is left free (and in a near vertical position)the potential extent of oversail is minimised anyway.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2003 03:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Oliver: Also be aware of intrusion of or trespass of "Air Space" It is a while since I was involved in such situations in the UK but there is case law, (sorry I just can't currently give you the references) on infringing air space over other peoples properties. It is possible for owner/occupiers and even tenants jointly with landlords and fellow tenants to seek injunctions to stop you slewing a tower crane over there property/air space, whether in service or out of service. I have been involved in the past in the UK in negotiating Wayleaves with local residents to "Buy the right to oversail" (Amazing how peoples perception of and opinion about RISK changes when Money is discussed) Speak to the Trade Associations for Crane Hire and Tower Crane Hire etc. The CPA, Contractors Plant Association might be able to help. Look also at the British Standards for Cranes and Tower cranes regarding Luffing Jib TC's as opposed to static horizontal boom jib ones. Also look at the Crane Designers and Manufacturers Handbooks/Operating manual details for conditions of operation, in and out of service. Either your own in house Plant Departnment or the Hire Company should be able to let you see these documents. Hope that this is of some interst and help, sorry that time precludes me at the moment from finding and digging out more detailed and probably more updated/current interpretation on these matters. Regards. ken urquhart
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2003 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Oliver Whitefield Ken Thanks for the reply. Contacting the trade associations could be a good idea in this case. Your comments regarding the invasion of air space is exactly what we are concerned about, several of the neighbours are within the legal profession, and we want to ensure our method of working does not impinge on their air space, for obvious reasons! Oliver
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Townsend Another way round the problem is to look at a crane type called a "goose neck" that is useful in these situations. They have become quite popular in town and cities. You would have to check with your crane supplier to see if this crane would meet your specification. Hope this helps Andrew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly I think you mean a self erecting tower crane these have the advantage that you can fold the gib back at night. They are small tower cranes gib from 20 meters to 40 meters. May well be the right crane for your job. Martin Daly