Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2003 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Does anyone know whether it is necessary to have carbon monoxide detectors fitted in domestic premises. I rang up the HSE Gas help line and they said yes. But I seem to remember reading something about CO detectors being unnnecessary in a lot of situations Our organisation runs care homes for people with learning disabilities. Most homes are typical domestic premises. Our boilers are serviced annually.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2003 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Not a requirement but as CO detectors have improved they now tend to be recommended more. A concern is that some people may be tempted to rely on these as an alternative to regular servicing. Try speaking to RoSPA (0121 248 2000) for their current view on this.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2003 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Thanks for your help Ken I contacted ROSPA. They sent me some information and this email: 'further to our conversation on Wednesday I have spoken to RoSPA's Product Safety Advisor David Jenkins. > > He advises that carbon monoxide detectors can be a useful secondary precautionary measure to take, but primarily any gas appliance should be regularly checked and maintained by a Corgi registered engineer. > > As regards the CO Spots available he suggests that they can be of limited value as by the time they turn in colour occupants may already be suffering from the fumes.'