Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2003 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I'm sure I've read somewhere that roads on a school site are not covered by the Road Traffic Act. Have I got this right or am I losing the plot? (It's late and I'm tired so that's a distinct possibility!) The background is that a pupil was slightly hurt when struck by a teacher's car in the playground. The school is Foundation and therefore H&S is the responsibility of the governors (who actually own the land) not the LEA but the parents are asking why the school was advised by its insurers not to call the police. I think this is because the RTA does not apply - any advice on this would be much appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2003 19:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Zoe You are right, I think; the roads on a school site are not covered by Road Traffic legislation. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2003 21:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The Road Traffic Act 1972 has no jurisdiction over private land, except on Crown Property specifically designated to fall under the RTA 1972 which clearly is not the case here. The only avenue (pardon the pun)is to pursue the case under civil (Tort)law. The police therefore have no interest in the issue of accidents on such roads and would not be involved. The only exception to this is if the 'accident' was found to be a deliberate act which again is unlikely to be the issue here. Sue the school and involve the insurers and teach the drivers the lesson. Poor child.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Road traffic law will not apply on private roads but criminal law will. So an assault would need to be reported. Careful decisions need to be made therefore but, if in doubt, it is generally advisable to report something that you didn't have to than not to report something that you should.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2003 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Zoe Depending on the pupil, the teacher should get a pay-rise. 1 down , how many to go?? . . . . . Absolutely, definitely only joking OK!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2003 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Zoe, The case law on this one is rather contradictory. My advice would be to assume RTA applies unless you have legal advice to the contrary! Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2003 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The RTA ( as per the statute) does not cover private property such as detailed in this posting. Case law has developed around 'ownership' due to buying and selling land. In a case where ownership is not in dispute then we are looking at civil law.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2003 20:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I don't have my RIDDOR guide to hand, but the incident may be reportable to the HSE under RIDDOR if the child was taken directly to either a hospital or doctor's surgery. (Member of the public injured by an employee at his place of work and taken for medical treatment??)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2003 21:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Bit different in schools, Martyn. Broadly, only reportable if injury occurs as a result of a work activity (staff work, not student work), or the condition of the premises/equipment etc. However, there are different requirements again for under 16s. On the original query, case law is a bit muddy. There was a decision some years ago that the RTA applied in "in areas which were clearly used as a roadway and to which the public had access - e.g. lay bys, car parks and private roads"(The quote may not be exact), but I think it was overturned on appeal. I'm not sure if it went to the House of Lords Laurie
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2003 18:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt It's not unusual to see cases rather like this coming up in the criminal court. The application of the RTA is to a public right of way, and each case is decided on the facts. It turns on the question of whether there is an implicit or explicit right of way. For example, a supermarket car park is deemed to be a public right of way because there is no attempt by the owner to exclude the public. Pub car parks are the same. So, if there is a question of driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence (no licence, wrong type of licence) the driver can be found guilty or not guilty based on where the driving took place. In my experience on the Bench, most pub car parks are classed as public rights of way in practice. There is a right of appeal on the facts to the Crown Court. Can this be applied here? On this test, if the school allows parents and others (not just the staff) to use the driveway e.g. to pick up children, then this would likely be found to be a public right of way. The method of stopping the application of the RTA is to post a notice stating 'No Public Right of Way'. Allan
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2003 19:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John O'Neill Not sure this would be reportable under RIDDOR, as the information given suggested the child was only slightly hurt. If he/she was knocked unconscious... different.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 March 2003 07:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Re RIDDOR, (if it met other criteria ie was taken to hospital) it is reportable if it "arises out of or is in connection with work". The question would be are traffic management and carparking arrangements on the site part of the governing bodies "undertaking". Probably answer would be yes. Re whether it's covered by RTA, Allan's point is convincing to me. I seem to recall an employee with bald tyres travelling on an internal (ie private) road being found guilty of Section 7 of HSWA.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Zoe I would be inclined to report this to the HSE as I think they would be interested in traffic management at the school (ref. Workplace Regs 92 in terms of segregation of vehicles and pedestrians) and I would advise the driver to report the incident to the police (and I seem to think there is a legal duty on the driver wherever they are to pass on their insurance details to the damaged party). When many schools were designed years ago, they were simply not built to accommodate vehicles, and I have advised schools in the past (mostly small schools) to advise teachers, visitors etc to use nearby public car parks instead of parking on the school playground. This advice has proved as popular as bottom-wind in a spacesuit, but at the end of the day, no employee has the automatic right to park at their place of work, especially if it jeapordises the safety of others. Eric
Admin  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2003 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson If it helps this is what has happened in practice on my Campus. We have a number of private roads which pass through our Campus and are used by Public Service Vehicles and the Emergency Services. The roads are also used by members of the public to gain access to the car parks. Our experience has been that when a road traffic accident does occur, which they do from time to time, the Police deal with it under the Road Traffic Acts unless it occurs in one the Car Parks. Because of the Police action we do not report traffic accidents under RIDDOR. I have to say that if one of the numerous university vehicles was involved in a personal injury accident on a Campus Road, I would report under RIDDOR. John
Admin  
#15 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson In a previous job, a Fork Lift Truck driver was convicted of Drink Driving. He was a very good employee with long loyal service, on advice from the local police force we were told as long as he did not drive his FLT on the Public Highway he/we were not breaking the law, so kept his job. accept A StJH point that differentiate between public and private land, foget the reporting bit and put procedures and processes into place to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Many thanks for all your responses - I am grateful as ever for the speed and quality of the advice (particularly that from Mr Maidment which I will be putting into action as soon as poss). The school in question is actually a Foundation School and the only one in my area not to buy their H&S service from the LEA - so really as the LEA adviser I shouldn't have had any involvement in the first place had it not been for a call from the school's secretary. They have since been advised to take the matter to the chartered surveyor who is their "competent person" - although whether a surveyor's training equips one to offer H&S advice is a whole new thread...
Admin  
#17 Posted : 11 March 2003 19:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Dundee Courier, 11 March "A student whose car collided with a (Perth) college car park road sign.......was fined £200 and banned for six months at Perth Sheriff Court... ....caused the wheels to spin .... He was seen driving well in excess of the 15 mph speed limit in the car park." I don't know about England, but in Scotland the Road Traffic Acts certainly apply in private car parks! Laurie
Admin  
#18 Posted : 12 March 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This issue would arise on roads within Council Housing Estates (in England) where some roads had been adopted as public highway and others had not and were controlled by the Housing Department and so different law applied to each category. The roads within our schools are certainly private, we set our own speed limits, the public do not have freedom of access and road traffic law does not apply.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2003 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray This is an extract from Hughes Guide to Traffic Law. (The traffic policemans guide) Private Roads, Car Parks etc. Other places whilst open to the public may be Roads for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act but it is necessary to prove the following points:- 1. It is a definable route or line of communication (a through route) for vehicles or pedestrians; 2. The general public have access there (not just the postman, milkman etc); 3. The access enjoyed freely; i.e. it is not gained by over coming a prohibition or physical obstruction. Basically is there is no barrier or gate closed to prevent access and the pupils, parents of the pupils or even visitors are allowed to use the road and there should be a road traffic accident then the police would investigate under the Road Traffic Act. This roadway is governed by the Road Traffic Act 1988
Admin  
#20 Posted : 17 March 2003 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks, Martin. Fortunately we have gates on our school roads. Presumably this will emphasise the need for proper traffic signs on private roads that come under road traffic law?