Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2003 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By wendy macdonald Can anyone offer me an opinion on the following scenario please? I have recently undertaken a workplace assessemnt on one of our local authority reception areas where they have the typical high counters where staff can either stand or sit on high operator chairs with foot plates or a foot rest. Whilst I was there staff demonstrated how difficult they found moving the chairs once they had got onto them due there being no castors. What they are actually doing is jumping the chairs, with their own body weight on, into the counter which I feel is not only dangerous but unacceptable and likely cause injury or damage to themselves and the chairs. I have suggested getting castors and have considered risk on floor surface (which is low due to being carpet), chair height etc and feel the risk is greater without the castors. Obviously staff would need to be instructed to not move around on the chairs due to risk of toppling but as they only use them at the counter this is also low risk. Anyway the company who sold the chairs can provide castors but said for 'H&S reasons' they should not be used on high operators chairs. Anyone know why we couldnt use them following a Risk Assessment??? Thanks in anticipation wendy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2003 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Wendy I can understand the reluctance of the supplier of your high operator chairs to fit castors as, with a higher centre of gravity, it would be much easier for the chairs to topple if there was a sudden increase in drag as the chair moved across the floor. I am a little surprised by your conclusion that the risk of using castors is low where the floor is carpeted as I would have thought that the drag from the carpet would increase the risk of a chair toppling (when compared with the risk on a hard floor surface such as wood or vinyl). Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2003 22:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PatrickT Wendy, Why not trial and risk assess a chair with, opposed to a chair without? Have the Chair suppliers undertaken a Risk Assessment of the Chairs / stools with castors, I think it unlikely and they are only watching their own backs. You are obviously ahead of the game by undertaking a risk assessment off all aspects of the operation of the chair, I am sure you will have taken into account the (for want of a better term) body mass index of the (Various?)users? What do the users suggest? Alternatively Raise the floor! Lower the reception desk! Good Luck Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2003 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Wendy, Why is it necessary for the receptionists to be seated at high level - the high level counter surely, is for the standing visitors convenience. All of the reception areas in my organisation have a similar arrangement with the high level counter - but the reception personnel are seated at "normal" work height - there is an ergonomic issue to be considered here too, do the reception staff have PC's - if so how do the high chairs "fit" in with the DSE assessment.I tend to concur with Paul about the higher centre of gravity too - the higher the load, the greater the distance of travel and increase in likelihood of injury. Another issue that you might need to consider is DDA - how do your receptionists maintain a face to face contact with wheelchair bound visitors (can they actually see over the high level counter?) What is clear however, that the practice of "jumping" the high chairs is going to have to stop - the potential for injury and therefore claim is high. Regards
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2003 17:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Given that the high counter is likely to remain at least for a while, the need is clearly for risk assessment observing the mounting and dismounting operations. The intention is generally for chairs of this type to be positioned where they are to be used, the seats swivelled round to allow the intended occupant to climb on and then the seat swivelled back to face the counter or high-level desk. Why is further adjustment needed? Are the chairs moving out of position during use? does the workstation not allow for the bae of the chair to be placed in the final position prior to mounting?, etc. As to intentional movement of chairs across floor surfaces, sometimes glides can be more useful than castors. Careful judgement is clearly needed here.