Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2003 17:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler Quick question, Am I correct, if a mobile tower does NOT have a built in internal ladder, then the only ladder that can be used is one that can be attached to the internal frame of the tower? Thanks. Regards. Jonathan Sandler.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2003 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John O'Neill sales@instantscaffolds.com They are a firm that sell mobile towers, they are a H&S aware firm and should be able to answer you question. Regards John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Jonathan The general design requirement is for the ladder to be located within the footprint of the tower and for the loading to be tranferred down to the tower feet/castors. This normally means that the ladder/steps arrangement should be a manufacturers item. I dislike the frame type with a ladder formed into the frame to give a vertical ladder - these are extremely open to abuse and I've seen rises of 16-20 feet without a stop!! The HSE guidance reinforces this. On a side issue I find these one of the most ill erected pieces of kit. The PASMA code is totally ignored and the most basic requirements are dismissed as too much of a problem to do. Any fool can erect them seems to be the philosophy - the real shame is that properly used they are vastly superior to ladders and stepladders which are the most used alternatives. By the way I am also reluctant to accept some hire companies' words. One major hire company supplied onto one of my sites a tower with parts from 4 different manufacturers and no toeboards - they couldn't see what was wrong. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough I agree with Robert - too many people, whether employees, managers and contract clients, are ignorant about basic safety for using tower scaffolds. When I encounter and query people using tower scaffolds without internal ladders, some tell me that they have always used the horizontal members of the frames as ladders - even though their spacing apart is too great and the diameter of tubular members renders them difficult to grasp. Like the toe-boards and the stabilisers, the ladders of tower scaffolds tend to get left in the store or are simply not used. Therefore, if any of us as H & S practitioners have employers, contractors or clients with tower scaffolds or projects where they may be used - which means most of us - it is worthwhile checking on the completeness of tower scaffold sets, training, etc. For those of you who are not sure about tower scaffolds, perhaps because you are new to H & S or simply haven't dealt with them much before, it would be worthwhile getting youself genned up by arranging to get or join a practical demonstration and discussion - either from a reputable hire company or through other practitioners, perhaps as an IOSH branch or section activity. Like ordinary scaffolds, tower scaffolds take time and effort to erect and dismantle, so there is always a temptation for some people to cut corners. Therefore, with the increasing number of sizes and designs of hydraulic "cherry picker" access platforms, including narrow ones which can pass through doorways for internal use, I strongly advise that "cherry pickers" with their flexibility of reach (and related saving of time) be considered as a safer and more versatile alternative to tower scaffolds.