Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze I'm just reviewing our company policy on the provision of corrective appliances (spectacles) for DSE users. I'd just like to know whether, like ppe, the spectacles remain the property of the company when an employee leaves. In some ways it's academic as the spectacles could not be reused. However consider the situation where an employee leaves the company shortly after receiving a subsidy towards their nice new deisgner frames. Are they or could they be obliged to pay that back? Jon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Take the point, but more fool the employer if they pay for the designer frames etc. Would suggest that any PPE which has a company logo attached or is of high value which can be reused / recycled is returned otherwise would forget about it. What you going to do, put in a skip and incur waste disposal costs?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Thanks Dave for that comment, I am just trying to get internal consistency in our policies. Most of our ppe is company branded & must be returned on termination of employment (to prevent people posing as our representatives). However spectacles are not branded and as far as I can see (no pun intended) are not ppe, so to my mind there is no reason why a former employee cannot keep them. As far as designer frames are concerned, our policy is to provide fit for purpose - we are not a fashion house, although that doesn't prevent some employees from trying it on. Jon
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2003 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott I've never been too clear about the issue of returning PPE to the employer on leaving. I'm sure there are legitimate and good reasons to do so - but surely if equipment has been issued as "personal" that is what it is - what is the employer going to do with the returned gear - use it again, surely not!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2003 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Bill, You raise an interesting point, possibly worthy of a separate thread. On the mundane level of eyewear or boots I would concur entirely with your point. No self respecting employer would re-issue these items. I have, since asking the question, adjusted our policies on spectacles provided under the Display Screen Equipment Regs & prescription safety spectacles. However in the current climate, the desirability to criminal organisations of e.g. Hi-vis jackets with "Police" or "Airport Security" means that this sort of item needs to be returned by departing employees. Jon
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2003 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson The Approved Code of Practice (acOP) accompanying the DSE Regs gives "guidance" on this subject. It confirms that employer MUST pay for basic "special corrective appliances" (ie DSE Specs), if solely used for DSE work. It further suggests that the employer MAY make a contribution towards the purchase of more expensive appliances that the employee may prefer to purchase for DSE use. Whilst SOME PPE could/should be returned by employee, it wouldn't be appropriate for other types due to hygiene considerations and/or the fact (as is the case with glasses)that they would be absolutely no use to anyone else !! The picture gets a little more "cloudy" when the employee requiring DSE specs also requires specs for other reasons/activities (eg reading). The law/aCOP suggests that in this case the employer is not liable - because the specs aren't solely for DSE use !! I personally think this approach is discriminatory (ie penalises those requiring [say]reading specs, and would hope responsible & fair employers would take a pragmatic view (i.e. allow employees requiring DSE specs to either get the basic model, or contribute towards bifocals if they have reading glasses too). Cheers.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2003 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston I would suggest that PPE remains company property, if employees are "gifted" glasses, boots etc on leaving the company there may be tax implications for the employee. I'm certainly no expert on tax law, but it may be something to ask the inland revenue about. Shane.