Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2003 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson Can anyone advise about provision of outdoor clothing - we are small electrical contracting company who supply employees with hardhats, ear defenders, gloves, safety goggles, dust masks we also contribute twice a year towards steel toe-capped boots, we do have a limited number of waterproof suits for the few occasions when someone is required to carry out work in inclement conditions. A number of employees are asking for waterproof clothing to be supplied as standard - are we obliged to supply this or is what we are currently offering adequate?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2003 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott If your risk assessment indicates that working outside in inclement weather is essential then the simple answer must be Yes! Environmental conditions of the work undertaken must be considered and protection provided appropriate to that hazard. Wet, cold employees can lead to accidents and unless you protect your employees by following the normal procedures then you could have a problem. Remember that the PPE provided must also be suitable and fit them properly!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2003 18:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John O'Neill Kirsty, You say you contribute towards steel toe boots twice a year. Do you mean that you don't provide the boots free or at least repay the wearer for the full cost if purchased privately? John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2003 20:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson David is "spot on". The guidance associated with the PPE Regs says: Items such as uniforms provided for the primary purpose of presenting a corporate image, and ordinary working clothes, are not subject to these Regulations. Likewise the Regulations will not apply to ‘protective clothing’ provided in the food industry primarily for food hygiene purposes. However where any uniform or clothing protects against a specific risk to health and safety, for example high visibility clothing worn by emergency services, it will be subject to the Regulations. Waterproof, weatherproof or insulated clothing is subject to the Regulations if it is worn to protect employees against risks to their health or safety, but not otherwise. I work as H&S officer/advisor in Environment Agency where many of our employees work outdoors. We supply breathable wet weather gear (jackets & trousers), fleeces, gloves & warm socks for cold weather. We also supply hats, insect repellent, sun [blocking] cream, & water botles to our field-workers in the summer.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2003 22:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By aidy best I think you have your answer from the forum members above. I work within the utilities field where PPE is mandatory. We supply our tradesmen with basic PPE, purely because of the high staff turnover, they do have the option to upgrade to suit themselves (additional comfort etc), however they are required to pay the "difference or balance" out of their wages. In your case you could go basic and leave it up to them to decide, however if you do go basic you may end up paying more in the long run (as you only get what you pay for)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Kirsty, The reason some responses appear a little harsh may be that you are not being specific. Are you part contributing to the cost of basic footwear, which is illegal, or covering the cost of basic footwear and allowing your employee to add to this to purchase stylish or branded types which is ok? The question you should be asking is: Is the PPE adequate, available and suitable, ie always there, sufficient protection and of the right size, you do not need to issue seperate coats to every employee unless every employee is likley to be oustide at the same time. Several sets of varying sizes should be ok in my opinion. Saying this, how many staff do you have that are likley to go outside, if 5, issue to each, if 100, provide enough sets to cover. If the PPE is not issued to a person, do they look after it in the same way as if it were their own? answer: probably not. You will have to make you own choice. Good luck. regards Andrew.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2003 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood For electrical workers, PPE has to be very carefully assessed. I suggest you talk to one of the Utility companies who have long experience in this type of work. Their linesmen and outside workers are well equipped to a high standard with flame retardant workwear that is also water and wind proof in situations where it is needed. The Electricity Association, the utility industry trade body, also has generic guidance that they may share with you. (try http://www.electricity.org.uk/) If you email me, I may be able to give you someone to talk to. George Wedgwood
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson First time I have used the forum, reading my post I can see that it is pretty vague. I am however clearer about what we do and what we may need to improve/look at as a result of the answers to my questions. Thanks to all who offered advice. Kirsty