Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2003 19:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson
I am an H&S advisor/officer within an organisation where my colleagues access farmland & other places in the countryside where low-voltage electric fences are used for stock/animal control purposes.
I have tried, and failed, to find any guidance on the safe use (& working around)such equipment.
I would guess that such fences are relatively safe unless :
(i) they aren't low voltage (ie illegally wired to 240V)!!! and/or
(ii) the person exposed is vulnerable (eg pacemaker fitted).
Anyone know where else I can look for info and/or guidance on this [equipment]hazard and its management ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2003 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
Steve

Your point about "the person exposed" is particularly apt. I remember inadvertently relieving myself against one of these many years ago.

The memory is with me yet!

Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2003 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Although the power source may be low voltage the potential at the fence will be fairly high (but very short duration). Although these are generally not considered to be a problem (certainly not by farm workers) I would guess there could be a problem to some. Why not tell your staff what they look like and its best to avoid them! You soon learn if you are brought up in the country! You could provide testers so your staff could tell whether they were on. A length of grass used to do the trick: hold it on the wire and you will get a very reduced effect in the fingers. Probably not acceptable to townies so probably best to use a proper tester. They used to be available (very cheaply) from:

Bramley & Wellesley (Head Office)
Unit C
Chancel Close Trading Estate
Eastern Avenue
Gloucester
GL4 7SN
Telephone: 01452 300450
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan
I'd be more worried about what livestock was in the field !!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2003 13:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Gareth,

A self confessed Townie then eh?

Steve,

When I was a lad, I persuaded a mate to urinate on one of these - he still reminds me about it, forty years later. Strange he became an electrician and I a safety professional
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2003 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
My eldest son, when he was 6 years old, had a "wee" experience on one of these fences. I can still remember my horror as I turned around, while on a walk in the Lake District, and realised what he was doing! He still remembers the experience vividly and frequently reminds me of how cruel I was to laugh as he squirmed at the point of conduction!!

Seriously though, it's my understanding that the farmer/owner should display a warning sign on the fence to comply with the safety sign regs. Your risk assessment process will need to consider the hazard posed by these fences to certain individuals and as one of the other respondents mentioned, should include other hazards such as the livestock.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2003 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
The HSE's guidance to farmers - Farmwise - an excellent resource, makes no mention of LV electric fences.
Dare it be assumed that ergo these are not "hazards" and therefore there is no need for specific guidance etc. Not sure about the actual risk to pacemaker users, never seen definitive research, suspect it is precautionary approach.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2003 07:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Steve.

As an indicator, from memory when I used to do cross country running at school (and occassionally took a shortcut !!), the fences are interdispersed with boxes that sit on the ground (presumably to boost the electricity as it disipates over length) and a distinct 'ticking' noise could be heard when the electricity was discharged along the fence (from the boxes).

I used to wait until the box had 'ticked' and then deftly stride the fence to avoid the jolt. Something that was learnt from experience......and who knows, may be of interest...

Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 March 2003 19:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson
Thanks to all that contributed to the discussion thread that I started. Yes...I guess I must be a "townie", and found the stories of close encounters most amusing !!!I intend to (i) contact suppliers of such equipment and see what info they supply to buyers (ii) contact HSE infoline and put Sylia's logic to them regarding Farmwise. Cheers all.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 March 2003 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
There is some industry guidance at
http://efa.fences.org/cop/word-cop/cop.pdf

Jane
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 May 2003 19:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret
Low Voltage is just as dangerous as high voltage. WHY? Because it is the Current that is dangerous and type of current.
Alternating current is 3 times more dangerous than direct current.
Why not read the European Directive on Low Voltage and its risks, not a pretty site I can assure you.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 May 2003 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Margaret,

Are you refering to a web-site? If so, could you post a link to it so I can have a look?

I am always seeking sites that can explain aspects of safety (or provide suitable images and stories) to emphasise the dangers involved in even the most innocuous looking workplace!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 16 May 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret
Well here are two articles on the low voltage directives : http://www.dti.gov.uk/strd/lvdnbg00-1.pdf

http://www.cemarking.net/lvd.htm

Heres a website on electrical accidents with interesting links used by professionals for information

http://mysite.freeserve.com/electrical_accidents

Margaret
Admin  
#14 Posted : 16 May 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Margaret, re your statement: Low Voltage is just as dangerous as high voltage. WHY? Because it is the Current that is dangerous and type of current.

As Georg Ohm pointed out voltage is proportional to current (V=IR) so although it's the current through the body that causes the problem the current depends on the voltage. There are other factors such as the energy that can be delivered; not enough and even a high voltage cannot deliver a large current.

Admin  
#15 Posted : 16 May 2003 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Having followed the CE Marking link, I've just noticed that electric fence controllers are exempt from the LV Directive!

I presume that they must have something else that applies, since equipment in explosive atmospheres is also exempt and there are ATEX directives to cover those.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 16 May 2003 21:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret
Yes Steve
I totally agree with you, other factors not mentioned include, temperature, resistance, body moisture i.e. persperation, earthing, duration of the shock, shortest path to earth (if there is one) and much much more. Its actually a huge interesting subject on its own yet highly neglected in the U.K.

People are too complacent of the most dangerous e.m. and thats electrical injury.

Margaret

Admin  
#17 Posted : 16 May 2003 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret
There are British Standards and european that still have to be applied to electrical fences.
EN 61011 - European Norm Standard
BS EN 60335-2-76:1999 Specification for safety of household and similar electrical appliances. Particular requirements for electric fence energizers
BS EN 61011:1993 Electric fence energizers. Safety requirements for mains-operated electric fence energizers
BS EN 61011-1:1993 Electric fence energizers. Safety requirements for battery-operated electric fence energizers suitable for connection to the supply mains
BS EN 61011-2:1993 Electric fence energizers. Safety requirements for battery-operated electric fence energizers not for connection to the supply mains

PD 6519-1:1995, IEC 60479-1:1994 Guide to effects of current on human beings and livestock. General aspects

PD 6519-2:1988, IEC 60479-2:1987 Guide to effects of current on human beings and livestock. Special aspects relating to human beings

Now these all cost money, however you should find most of these standards at technical colleges and some universities who I am quite sure will accommodate you.

Margaret