Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2003 22:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson I work for Environment Agency who need to occasionally respond to flooding events, including temporaily closing roads (in liaison with highways authority). I have found and/or been given extensive regulations and/or documentation about traffic signage (design & position) but very little about other key safety controls. Are there any specific legal requirements in realtion to (i) the competence of those putting temporary traffic signage out ?(ii) the use of amber beacons on roof of vehicles ?(iii) the use of high viz clothing?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2003 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Leon Zacharow Steve Years ago I used to be involved in training on the New Roads & Streetworks Act where the operatives and supervisors did the setting up of traffic lights as part of their training. This training was certified and all operatives and supervisors were issued with a licence type certificate with their photograph on to confirm that they had completed the training, as this was required under the Act. Regards Leon
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone A couple of years ago, as part of a former job, I had to complete a Streetworks Excavation and Reinstatement - Signing, Lighting and Guard and Monitoring course by NPTC. This course gave all the information needed to set up signage, traffic control etc. This course was followed by a theory and practical exam, we received a card with all the information and our photo to present if requested. Not sure if this is right but we were told that you are not allowed to put out signs etc unless you have this qualification. Hope this helps Ian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2003 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Judging by the standard of some of the temporary signing I see in my travels, I doubt if much instruction and training has been given in the case of contractors working on the public highway or those responsible for monitoring their performance. I seem to remember, from my local authority days, that Chapter 8 of the then Department of Transport's Traffic Signs Manual was the official standard. The legal position, I suspect is for competent contractors to be appointed, competent operatives given the job of signing and competent monitoring officers to ensure good and legal standards meeting DoT requirements. As to whether a specific qualification is required, I rather doubt it from my observations but shall hope to be corrected by someone 'in the business'.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2003 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H At the moment training falls into two broad camps: Supervisor or Operative training under the New Roads & Street Works Act; or the traffic management Sector Scheme administered by LANTRA [http://www.lantra.co.uk/awards/accredit.htm]. The NRSWA training is much broader than you would need covering excavation, buried cable detection, reinstatement etc.as well as traffic management. There are currently 3 LANTRA schemes 12A,12B & 12C these all deal with traffic management on high speed roads. LANTRA are developing a 12D scheme to cover other roads but this is not available yet. I would suggest you contact LANTRA and speak to some of their registered training providers about adapting a course to your needs. The NRSWA Code of Practice [http://www.street-works.dft.gov.uk/sasworks/index.htm]stipulates the required hi-vis. As you are likely to be doing this work in poor weather I would suggest you go for at least EN 471 Class 3 [you may want to consider hi-vis trousers as well] 3M produce leaflets explaining the various requirements contact them on 0161 237 6269 and ask for their "Visible protection in a chaotic world" pack.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2003 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion thread I started. "Sorted" now. Cheers.