Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2003 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Condie Anyone ever done a COSHH assessment for zoonosis before?. Any pointers to research papers or books?. Any help would be grateful, Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2003 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Zonosis is a term for an animal borne infection, any risk assessemnet would have to take into account the type of infectious organism and its potential for transferring to humans and its affects. The HSE has guidance on Zoonosis. Think of Source - Route - Target and what you can do to prevent infection at each stage. Got a particular organism in mind, you may be a squaddie using the site from the Gulf!!! so H&S in operational areas doesn't count! Suggest Full NBC suit in Desert DPM. (Only joking!)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Dave Are you saying that H&S in operational areas doesn't count from definite knowledge, or an assumption? The reason I ask is that during the last Gulf War I asked for exemption from the COSHH Regulations for those personnel for whom I had responsibility, and who were in operational theatre i.e. on the front line, and it was refused! Has somebody seen reason at last? Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2003 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Ian, COSHH does not and never has applied to operational duties outside the geographical bounds of Great Britian, as the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 does not apply outside Great Britain without an Order in Council (S84 (3) refers). Regards Adrian Watson