Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2003 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kirsty Bryson I am fairly new to Health and Safety (hence the need to ask the question). In terms of training for senior management what would be a good guideline - I work for a small office based company - the MD has just completed the IOSH Managing Safely Course and discussion is now whether the other 3 board members should also complete the course - we have a total of 8 employees (this includes the directors). Am I correct in thinking that even if the MD is not in the country, as the director named as having Health and Safety responsibility he is still the person responsible should anything go wrong? I understand that people "in management or supervisory roles" should be suitably trained to enable them to supervise the health and safety of employees properly but what I am trying to establish is in a small company like ours should the IOSH course be undertaken by all at board level to enable all directors to be in a position to make decisions in the absence of the MD. Any guidance gratefully received - Kirsty
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2003 10:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Kirsty Probably the best course for the MD to start with would be the IOSH Directing Safely course, as this would then give him/her a pointer for how to manage health and safety using the HSG65 model. Using HSG65, the starting point is your company health and safety policy, and it is here that you may wish to clarify your own question about responsibilities whilst the MD is out of the country. If the policy is written down and everyone has a copy (or precis) then they should all be clear about their duties and responsibilities. As to the Managing Safely course - well you may find it is not necessary to send everyone - what about an approach where different Directors attend different courses ( risk management, fire, emergency/contingency planning etc etc) then brief the others on their return. Why not give the training dept at IOSH a buzz and chat it through with them. Regards, Eric
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2003 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Kirsty, I agree with the reply from eric - check with iosh on what they offer. I feel that all of your directors should have the same level of training/awareness. When the md goes on a trip, doesn't he say to someone "hey, george, take care of things while I'm away". Someone deputises for the md while he is absent. If trouble arises, that person could find him/herself in the dock, handcuffed to the md perhaps. Best regards Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2003 20:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson I agree with previous respondees. http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...raining.directing_safely
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2003 20:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Nelson Who will your small office based firm be appointing as its "competent person" (see Management Regs 1999) ? I guess you may employ the services of external OSH "support" ? Have you seen Officewise, a free leaflet from HSE ? http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg173.pdf Good luck
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Kirsty I have contacted you direct by email. Regards Ken Lucas - IOSH