Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2003 19:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By chandrashekhar I am looking for a supplier or brand of water resistant, heat proof safety shoes that would be suitable for working in wet areas, grassed lawns, agri farms. I would be greatful for any assistance/recommendations for quality / durable safety shoes.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2003 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Ashton Wjilst working for a utility Company, I needed to find footwear suitable for grass cutters working on wet grass, and occasionally on moderate slopes. Our solution was a 'cheap' pair of 'ordinary' safety boots that were taken to the local cobbler, who stripped the soles off and replaced with golf-stud type soles. The conversion was not cheap, but the end result certainly achieved the desired effect. Be aware that the converted footwear will not be CE marked, and so may draw a wary comment from the enforcement agency, but an explanation of the risk assessment, the solution and the reasoning, will normally satisfy most inspectors. Hope this is useful. Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2003 08:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson I have issued an american brand of anti-slip footwear to staff working in wet areas and I must say I have been impressed with their performance on wet, greasy & oily surfaces. They are called "Shoes For Crews", and they come in boots, shoes, catering whites, wellies etc. Our local stockists are Louis France Ltd, 0800 917 8192
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2003 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I have seen rugby / football boots being worn by operatives when working on wet / slippery grass banks. Although this footwear provides limited protection to dropping items on the toes etc it does stop the operative from slipping very well and will not require any modification (very cheap)!! Hope this helps Kev