Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaret conlon I have just been assigned a risk assessment on a ozone generator, used in a lab. Has anyone previously completed an ozone generator risk assessment, any pointers or ideas were to begin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2003 08:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce Margaret, A couple of years ago I prepared a risk assessment on a piece of laboratory equipment that generated ozone as a by-product. The issues I highlighted included: Decomposition into oxygen with associated fire and explosion risks. Ozone is a strong oxidant and can react violently with combustible or reducing materials. It reacts with alkenes, aromatics and most organic substances. The result of this reaction can have advanced ageing effects on the materials - important if your using rubber tubing for instance. It's corrosive to the eyes and respiratory tract. You need to think about using LEV over the equipment, use of PPE such as goggles, gloves etc, dependant upon your process. If I remember correctly, the effects of inhalation can manifest several hours later, after physical exertion; medical attention will be required. It has a short term exposure limit of 0.2ppm referenced over 15 mins. (EH40). I think you can buy stain tubes from Draeger to measure the concentration in the air, and I think they do dose badges as well, worth calling them. Your going to have to think about COSHH assessment obviously, as well as risk assessment on the equipment. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2003 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaret conlon Thats very helpful Thank you
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2003 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Perhaps add to that, that Ozone has a 'cat pee' type smell which manifests itself long before the OEL is reached. Obviously not scientific but a good practical manifestation that operatives should be aware of. Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2003 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Ozone is sometimes used as a fumigant within microbiological safety cabinets / isolators etc. As the ozone is contained within the cabinet/isolator the hazard is fully enclosed and represents little risk, as long as the cabinet is ducted to atmosphere rather than recirculating back into the lab (HEPAs will not remove the Ozone). The removal of the fumigant is usually by passing the ozone through a catalyst thus producing only water and oxygen. So during normal operation these systems represent little risk, however should fumgant escape the cabinet/isolator then you will need procedures in place to ventilate the area, turn off the ozone generator etc. The easiest method is simply to use timers. The ozone generator will probably have a timer function to produce sufficient ozone to decontaminate the cabinet, and then vent. If this process is set off at the end of the working day, by the next morning the fumigation is over, the cabinet vented and any escaping ozone is removed by the laboratory forced ventilation. Risk minimised and job done. Shane.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2003 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Margaret Don't forget to look a bit further than the ozone. It is a piece of electrical equipment - has it been CE marked, electrically tested? Is it being used as the manufacturer intended - if not, then your assessment will need to be a whole lot more detailed. Is it being used in a sensible fashion (e.g. not where it will get wet?). What are they using it for? You cannot do a risk assessment for the generator in isolation. Ozone does have a very distinct smell, so if it escapes you will know about it. Fortunately it also decomposes quite quickly, so it does not spread particularly far. Jane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox I have just had a COSHH assessment carried out on ozone generating equipment, within a reprographics department, the STEL is 0.4mg/3 15mins, exposure monitoring and background monitoring were also taken - in general the Occupational Hygienist relayed at times the STEL was being exceeded, (This was from photocopiers), I feel you may well be able to assess the mechanical aspects yourself, but I would tread very careful when it comes to carrying out any sampling if you do not have the desired competencies or expertise. Give Sypol a ring, and let the experts do this part of the assessment. Martin