Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2003 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt To pick up on the very interesting points raised in the other thread about "Industrial accident or not"... I ask the question - Should Health and Safety Practitioners be advising injured persons (at work) of their right to claim compensation (if we suspect that the employer has been negligent). I personally don't and never have done, but I would be interested in colleagues views on this.....
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2003 19:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards It is an interesting point but I think one difficult for you to engage in fully. It depends upon the H&S role in each company but we see some conflict in you giving out advice whilst under contract of your employer. You could find yourself in breach of your own employment contract as a finding of negligence by you would take you close to the line. I think it is a good idea H&S professionals understand what makes up a claim rather than making judgements on their triviality or otherwise based on visual evidence alone. Many employers also offer legal advice helplines to their employees on a range of areas, this could be a useful way of ensuring fair play. It also takes you away from the conflict should you have to give evidence and protects the role of the H&S pro who needs to be objective. What has suprised me on this site is the mention of litigation culture and money and the disparaging comments. Part of excellent risk management is about looking at the validity of potential claims and ensuring as many of the factors are put right to avoid similar claims in the future.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2003 07:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I would put it another way. The H&S advisor/manager etc role is to look at the cause of accidents and/or incidents to see what remedial actions can be taken to avoid an accident in future. To pick up on your point Robert, the remarks came about because of your introduction of 'its a shame ....'. Prior to that the debate had been about RIDDOR and reporting responsibilities. To Eric I would say that advising on civil claims to accident victims is not our role - and dare I say it, one we should stay well clear of, whether or not we agree with the litigation culture we see around us. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Smith I agree that advising on civil claims to accident victims is not our role and never should be. However, on one or two occasions I have been asked for advice by friends or colleagues who have been pursuing claims against their and my own employer. On such occasions I have avoided giving direct advice and limited myself to an attempt to help and enable them to better understand the claims process that they have become involved in and to suggest the sort of questions they need to ask themselves and their legal adviser before they make any decision, (e.g. whether or not to accept an offer to settle out of court). To do more would place us in an untenable position between management and staff. Instead of being a voice of reason we could be viewed by either side as being pro the other and our job would become impossible. Roj
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I would not advocate advising someone whether to persue a claim or not - that is their decision, but in many cases it would be helpful to advise injured persons about the circumstances in which compensation may be relevant, and the issues surrounding it. Most people I talk to are unaware of the process, especially in terms of negligence, and think that merely having an accident at work entitles them to compensation - in fact, i have received calls in the past from IPs asking for a "compo form". There is an advert running at the moment on the TV showing a person who injures his hand whilst adjusting a tractor PTO and is subsequently awarded a large amount in damages. On the face of it, it looks like it is his own fault, thereby possibly giving a false impression to future claimants. If we, as Safety Practitioners are able to explain the facts about the compensation process to IPs, it may save them time and money by not persuing frivolous claims. Eric
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2003 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Eric I'm not sure there are any 'facts'. Anecdotal evidence suggests to me that insurance companies will happily (if that is the right word) pay out up to £5k without a fight because of the cost of defending a case. I know of one Factory Manager who is hopping mad at his insurance company. An operative was hit by a hand pushed trolley and suffered minor bruising to his leg. He took a week off and claimed via one of the 'no win no fee' lawyers. The Manager wanted to fight the case and advised the insurers accordingly. But they paid out over £2000 to the employee without further consulting the Manager. His fear is that everybody who has a minor accident will take excessive time off and claim compensation. My opinion remains that it is not within the role or remit of H&S professionals to get involved in providing advice on the legal side of these matters. There are a number of other outlets staffed with people who are competent to deal with legal issues. Geoff