Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2003 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHAEL DAVIES can anyone supply info on how to overcome wearing a hard hat if say for instance you are lasying paviours with a 0 risk of any thing dropping on your head. please advise of the correct route to take
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2003 19:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper do I win fastest reponse prize? Firstly you mention no risk of things dropping on their heads, why the need for hard hats? Where is the risk? On the other hand, I have investigated a number of head injuries from items that have come from at or below head height. Passing lorries with loads jutting out sideways, or moving plant. Immovable objects, such as scaffold is another item that people often walk into incurring head injuries. Are there other hazards that would neccesitate the use of a had hat? If so communicate these hazards and you may stand a better chance of compliance. If not, then the workforce may have a point as to why you are enforcing a rule that has no apparent benifit. If I was looking at the operation the bigger hazards may be traffic movements, cutting the blocks, manual handling, which may be of more concern to the operatives. Or the fact when they keep bending over, the hats fall off, then some sort of strap would be in order! Another more unorthodox solution I use may be of benifit if you have other contractors on site. Tell the guys that you are having trouble with others on site not wearing hard hats. If they wore hard hats, they would be the focus of attention and the safest guys on the site, by wearing the PPE even when they didn't want / need to! They may wear the hats knowing that you will praise them up to anyone who will listen including those who place orders and pay invoices! Hope this helps Ian H