Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2003 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large I work in a demand led Health and Safety Unit. We have been asked to provide a measurement of what we do so that when we aquire extra staff resources we can prove how much extra has being accomplished as a result of those resources. Rather than re-invent the wheel I was wondering whether anyone here has a simple, unobtrusive system of measuring their work?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2003 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Yes;it's called an accident book! Laurie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Laurie So if it is a successful unit through hard work then there should be fewer entries and thus less work to do and so we can reduce the unit size. Mark Just reading this rang bells of "you must be in local government" Its not an easy task and you need to try and devise a measure based on say budget values and staff numbers v SA time, or risk levels v SA input. For my work I know that Other possibilities could be based on number and time of active monitoring visits, ie those not related to checking in the event of a failure. If you go for auditing you could also look towards Corrective Action work and Non-conformance reporting investigations. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2003 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large You are close, central government. Already measuring accidents. However, considered a measure of effectiveness and not output. In other words you could do loads of work (high output) but it might not affect accidents as it is the wrong work (low effectiveness). Typical Civil Service want evidence from all angles.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Many organisations only consider reactive measures of performance such as number accident rates, absence due to accidents?? I am sure you can justify it by using proactive measures of performance such as those listed in Annexe E of BS 8800:1996- GUIDE TO OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2003 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle How about the following: Previously and after new staff... No. of Task risk assessments undertaken No of risk assessment reviewed No of training course provided No of refresher training courses provided No of inductions completed No of site visits made No of re-visits made No of inspections undertaken No of re0inspections made No of actions implemented No of actions implemented reviewed No of safety procedures reviewed No of works instructions reviewed No of method statements reviewed No of Fire/PPE/DSE etc risk assessments done No of responses made to customer enquiries No of customer matters completed No of customer matters outstanding No of letters written in response to..(any) H&S inputs to: CDM Emergency planning and review Environmental Matters and review etc Contractors select lists and review Schools safety matters Highways safety issues Trees safety issues Planning safety issues Building control safety issues etd etc etc.... Hope this is some food for thought !!!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2003 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Mark, There was an excellent publication recently issued by Step Change in Safety called "Leading Performance Indicators - A Guide for Effective Use." It can be found on: http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm It emphasises the difference between measurement and effectiveness, as you pointed out, and I think it might be quite useful to you and anyone else who may be interested i performance measurement. Step Change in Safety is a free resource aimed at improving the safety culture in the UK Oil and Gas industry and although some subjects are industry specific they do have cover more general matters like this one. Hope it helps.