Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2003 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dick Dear friends My name is Dick and I come from Hong Kong. In these two years, injury accidents related to manual handling operations increased tremendously. I admitted that some accident cases were real cases but some of them, I believed were fake. The so called injured just claimed that they twisted their body during manual handling operations in order to get paid sick-leaves. (In fact, some of them were suspected get hurt after work but reported to our company that they were injured during working.) Friends, do you have any suggestion to tackle this problem? Pls. share with me. It is quite urgent for me to find a solution! Many many thanks PS: I can be reached via alvinliu@hotmail.com also.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2003 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Bate Dick, I have the same problem at my place of work. The problem is, you have to take every claim as being genuine, unless there is overwhelming evidence otherwise. If the task involves manual handling, then the chances are there will always be manual handling related injuries, and it is very difficult to distinguish between true and false claims. The only answer I think you have is to review your working operations and try and eliminate or reduce the amount of manual handling involved in the operation, and to reduce the loads that are required to be lifted. Depending on the operation, perhaps a vacuum lift would be your answer, or try installing roller tables to limit lifting? Alan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2003 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H The question of whether a manual handling injury occurred at work or at home is difficult for two reasons.... 1) as you suggest it is very difficult to prove where an injury happened 2) harm from manual handling is a 'cumulative' injury, every time someone overloads their body they do a little damage. If they do it frequently the damage never gets a chance to heal, and it starts to add up until it reaches a level that the body can't cope with and finally something tears or slips out of alignment resulting in an obvious 'injury'. So a worker can do the majority of damage to their body at work but the final 'trigger' can occur at home.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dick Thanks for your reponse, Alan and Edward Besides, minimizing the manual handling work, reducing the load, revise work procedure …etc is there any method to prevent “bad” employee to report false claim? thanks