Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2003 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West My research leads me to understand that exposure to Bird droppings and feathers etc can result in Avian Zoonoses such as Psittacosis and Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis (EAA)(also known in USA as Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis). I have completed a risk assessment on the removal of bird detritus from a disused building and have established a number of control measures and precautionary measures to take. However, I am unaware of any official (workplace)guidance available on this subject. Is any available and has any one else had experiance of this that they wouldn't mind sharing with me. I have sourced a copy of "Health in the Loft: Yours, Not the Pigeons!- Guidelines for preventing Pigeon Fanciers' Lung" and it was very helpful although fairly retricted in its approach. Over to you. Kev
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is an HSE report, "The occupational zoonoses"published in 1993,ISBN 0118863975 that has information on hazards & control measures for PSITTACOSIS. There is also HSE's Agriculture sheet "Common zoonoses in agriculture" Agriculture Information Sheet; 2 In addition to some general precautions for all zoonoses, it states:- Psittacosis (Ornithosis) This disease is also caused by the organism CHLAMYDIA PSITTACI, often carried by ducks and other poultry (including turkeys) as well as caged, wild and exotic birds. To control the risk follow the advice in the 'Precautions' section, and also consider: • how to avoid producing dust, eg by not dry sweeping areas where the birds are kept, and maintaining good ventilation; • for on-farm slaughter of poultry, using local exhaust ventilation in evisceration areas if reasonably practicable; if not, using respirators to BS EN 140, with filters to BS EN 141.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2003 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Many thanks for the information Jay, Much of the material mirrors that which I have already established through my research. However I feel it is much better to be able to reference official sources such as the HSE opposed to unofficial sources such as(and I mean no disrespect here)a Pigeon fanciers report. Thanks again, Kev
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion We had problem in several buildings working with demolition contractors and roofers. we overcome the real concerns with appropriate PPE instruction advice etc. Not dampening down as it releases amonia. We used decontamination unit as used by asbetos workers for on site hygiene. Jeff Manion www.groveservices.co.uk
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2003 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West Jeff, That approach is the way we intend tackle the removal of the detritus. Especially, in this case, due to the possibility/likelihood of the birds having pecked/disturbed asbestos lagging within the building. The asbestos is also to be removed as it is now in a friable and unsafe state. Kev