Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone We hold an amount of radiation sources for science experiments. We employ a part time person for teaching who holds qualification in Nuclear Physics and has worked in nuclear research, these were from a number of years ago. The question I have is Would this person qualified as a Radiation Protection Advisor (RPA)? It has come to light that questions have been asked on the storage and disposal and this person has not been able to give answers, should the RPA have this knowledge? I have got a copy of the HSE statement on RPA but still not clear. Hopefully you can help Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2003 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Ian Check the information at this link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/hthdir/noframes/iradiat.htm Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2003 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Possibly not unless they were appointed before 2000. And even if they were, by 2005 you will need to satisfy the HSE competence criteria to comply with IRR99. If your college is a member of CLEAPSS give them a ring; they will be able to advise. I believe they are putting together a proposal to act as RPA for schools and colleges as an extension to their existing service.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2003 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Ian You mention that he did not know the answers to some important questions. This suggests that while his education on the technology and science is fine, his knowledge of the legislative aspects needs some improvement. To be an RPA you need to have both, but there are courses available, and no doubt this person could aspire to that level of knowledge. Bear in mind that the structure of management of ionising radiation has several levels of appointment. The manager of the area writes the local rules, the Radiation Protection Supervisor acts as local watchdog to ensure that the rules are obeyed, and the Radiation Protection Adviser makes sure that everything is in order and acts as an independent source of advice and guidance. Hence the RPA should know the answers! RPAs also, I believe, have to be approved by the HSE. Jane