Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KEVIN CHARLES BRADBURY I'M CURRENTLY DOING MY NEBOSH CERTIFICATE AND WONDERED IF ANY ONE HAD ANY GOOD ACROYNMS THAT WOULD ASSIST ME WHEN TAKING THE EXAM AND IN THE REVISION PROCESS.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2003 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West This takes me back a bit! When training in Health and safety I use a number of acronyms I learned from my days as a student to aid delegates understanding. Heres a few of them. Hierarchy of control: E Eliminate the risk entirely R Reduce by substitution I Isolation or totally enclosing C Control Measures (mechanical and mgment) P PPE D Disciplinary measures ERIC PD (The Health and Safety man) Machine Hazards: En Entanglement T Trapping I Injection C Crushing E Ejection EnTICE Hazards of working with electricity: B Burns e S Sparks A Arcing F Fire E Explosion BeSAFE (BeSAFE when working with electricity) Manual Handling Risk Assessment Elements: L Load (weight, size etc) I Individual Capability (strength,size etc) T Task (How high, far etc) E Environment (lighting, flooring etc) LITE (make LITE work of manual Handling) Kev
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2003 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Shouldn't the I in EnTICE be Impact?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West You are correct!! En TICE should read, Entanglements- a limb (or clothing) being pulled into machinery Traps- Part of body caught between moving or passing machine parts Impact- Body or limb hit by moving part Contact- with sharp edges or hot parts etc Ejection- Body struck by objects thrown out of machines Apologies if I mislead you. Kev
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2003 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Here's a couple I had when I did mine Firstly I had FIAT for guarding Fixed Interlock Automatic Trip Device being the hierarchical order of them. Then, because this part was especially difficult I had MANAMAPPS for the human factors, these being Motivation Aptitude Needs Attitude Memory Attention Perception Personality Stress Good luck with the course Hilary
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2003 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michelle Driscoll Wasn't BEEFS one for electricity? Burns Electrocution Electric shock Fire Sparks Michelle