Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2003 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Hamill Small kitchen in office area has a kettle that is in constant use. The concern is that in small area an accident could happen. How can I persuade office manager that a fixed hot water dispenser would be safer?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2003 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I'm not sure if you can, but I know who man who might - Culligan water dispensers are having a remarkable market penetration - their sales staff must be good, and they do offer models with hot water taps, suitable for making tea. Quietly ask them to send a salesman to your boss. (there is a safety feature on the hot water tap) Merv
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2003 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large Tip the kettle on him when he goes for his cuppa? Repeat till he gets the message. Important Note: Don't boil the kettle first!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2003 20:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Tony. It is common practice in offices these days to have a water boiler (usually wall mounted) available for staff to make hot drinks. These are usually plumbed-in, refilling from the cold (drinking water) mains and fitted with a suitable fused electrical connection. They boil water to a suitably hot setting and maintain it at this temperature. Water is dispensed via a 'push/pull' lever. With the exception of splashing if cups are not held up to the dispesing nozzle, I think this is much safer than a kettle....
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond We had a fixed hot water dispenser at my last job. You couldn't make a decent cup of tea because the water was not boiling. It was set lower for safety reasons - so staff went back to kettles!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2003 21:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Shame.... ours work a treat!!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2003 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough There are a number of arguments you could use to support having a water boiler rather than a kettle: If the boiler is hard wired in to the electrical supply, you can dispense with the regular PEAT tests which would be needed for a kettle. With a properly installed boiler there's less chance of users getting electric shocks or scalds than they would with a kettle. If it's wall mounted a boiler can be neater and free up worktop space, especially in small kitchenette areas. However, as time/money saving factors tend to hold more sway than health and safety factors with employers, a significant factor in favour of a boiler is that you get your boiling water immediately so staff are not hanging around filling up kettles and waiting for them to boil. Also, I am told that it's cheaper for a boiler to keep water at or very near boiling point than to keep using a kettle to heat up cold water - although surely this depends on the average daily number of hot drinks required. I imagine other readers of this thread are intrigued like me as to the alleged "safety reasons" mentioned in an earlier response for turning down the thermostat of a boiler. Whether water is at boiling point or a few degrees less, it still has the ability to scald – whether it comes from a boiler or a kettle.