Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2003 18:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I don't normally get involved in this sort of thing but as a freebie to the local parish council here goes: A 1950's tractor is owned and used by the council to cut the grass on the village green (one of the largest in the UK - the green that is). Most of the green is flat but there are some uneven areas. If necessary the grass cutting could be restricted to the flat areas only. A councillor is paid as a contractor to cut the grass. Maintenance of the tractor and grass cutter is up-to-date and the driver is very experienced. The question is - does a seat belt have to be fitted, and if the operation is restricted to the flat areas, do rollover bars have to installed? My initial risk assessment would say no to both questions but I'd like confirmation (or otherwise) or indeed any comments. Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2003 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. OSHA requires that all tractors have roll-over protection and safety belts - but discuss this with the tractor manufacturer before installation. Make sure all rotation shafts and parts are guarded from entanglement and from spitting projectiles at passer-bys. Tractors should mow up and down a dry slope. Lawn mowers are the opposite, go accross the slope. Unlimited have a good video - "Groundskeeping Safety - Be a pro" ring 028 90327427
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Geoff I profess no particular expertise, but suggest if your RA says it is OK, then there is no need. Have you considered that although you have banned the use on a slope that the operative might ignore this? A similar regulation change came about regarding fork lift trucks, but my understanding is if you have established that roll over is unlikely then the seat belt etc is not required. Additionally, the age of the machine might kick in. I have an old Landrover that does not require seat belts - I've fitted them nonetheless. In your case PUWER does not make exemptions but the traffic regs might.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Regulations 26 to 30 of the 1998 PUWER Regs require protective or control measures where there is a risk to persons of being struck by the vehicle; the vehicle rolling over; falling from the vehicle; being struck by a falling object; unauthorised start-up; inadequate braking or stopping; or restricted driver visibility. Risk assessment is needed, therefore, to ascertain whether there is a risk of injury and, if such risk exists, the necessary control measures must be in place and in use (eg seat-belts worn, roll-over protection fitted or cabs installed). If you ask the questions: could the operator fall off and be injured by the tractor? and, could it roll over? I suspect that, even if you confine the operator to level areas, there will be a need for, at least, a seat belt. An added dimension might apply if the councillor is on the parish council that controls the green in as much as he might not be considered to be just a contractor but also part of the employing organisation! The above having been said, I still see the odd antiquated farm worker on the odd antiquated tractor without benefit of constraint in this part of the UK. Presumably PUWER awaits the reported injury.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2003 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Geoff. It is my understanding that seat belts should be fitted where there is ANY risk of the vehicle turning over. The same in the case of a tractor would apply to a roll cage and also cab protection if the vehicle has a any attachments that lift loads that could fall onto the cab. In addition, where doors are fitted they must be closed during operation. If there is any chance of doors being left open, as I am sure they will be (on nice sunny summer days on the grass-cutting work), seat belts must be fitted and worn. You state that the ground is flat, but areas around this are inclined. I would assume therefore that cutting of the flat area goes up to the inclined areas, and therefore a risk of some degree must exist. Taking into account Murphy's Law (what can go wrong will do eventually), it would be prudent to consider that most accidents occur when the things no-one though would happen (and have not guarded against) actually happen!! I'm sure that the contractor (a councillor you say !! very interesting) would be willing to comply with the reasonably practicable requirements of the council to ensure that the work is performed in a safe and healthy manner. I'm sure that any other 'contractor' would either have already have undertaken these refinements or be happy to do so when the reasonable requirements were identified !!