Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2003 07:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alper Yilmaz Can anyone tell me about the hazards associated with the painted plastic hoses that carry propane or oxygen or argon?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2003 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Alper In general, hoses should not be plastic. You don't say what the gases are for, so I shall make an assumption! There are standards relating to such hoses when they are used for welding or allied processes such as cutting or brazing. When this applies, propane and LPG hose in the UK should be orange, oxygen is blue and any inert gas is black. The British Standard that applies is BS EN 559, 1994, Gas welding equipment, rubber hoses for welding, cutting and allied processes. An exception might be for miniature work, such as welding in jewellery-making, where it may not be possible to get rubber hose of the correct reinforced type in the diameters required.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2003 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Alper Having said that, to answer your question on the hazards - it rather depends on the use. If gas lines come adrift the gas escapes, so the integrity of the couplings and any joins is important, as is the standard of manufacture of the hose itself (hence my earlier posting). Gas lines can be trip hazards. They can be damaged, thus allowing the gas to escape. They need to be protected from mechanical damage, sparks, oils and greases. They perish (if they are rubber!) so need to be inspected at intervals. If you coil up a fuel hose, in order to try to be tidy, it can be really difficult to deal with if it catches fire. There is controversy about the advisability of taping hoses together to keep them tidy. On the one hand it is tidy, but on the other hand they can become more vulnerable to sparks. In no circumstances should the marking of the hose be obscured wholesale by tape. Most people advise against taping hoses together, on balance. Regards Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2003 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor - and if you mean the subsequent painting of gas hoses, this must be bad practice in most cases in view of additional fire risk, chemical reactions, obscuring markings, etc. From my observations, loose fixings and physical damage seem to be the main issues.