Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2003 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Robert Kennedy I would be greatful if some body could throw some light on the subject below please. Carrying out a statistical and epidemiological analyses
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2003 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Robert, What is behind the question here? If you are being asked to undertake such a study then the asking of the question suggests that you ought to find a suitable consultant/researcher. Epidemiology itself is concerned with the study of disease incidence in populations and deriving statistical information on occurrence rates within the population under study. It has a common root with epidemic. You will often find such analyses used to trace disease growth within groups and thence derive potential causal links. Some of the obvious examples are the work of Doll and Peto in asbestos exposure. It also forms the basis of some of the predictions for variant CJD deaths. Is this one of those wobbly ball questions beloved by tutors and examiners? Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2003 17:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Er - an epidemiological analysis of what exactly? I am a bit puzzled by your question - carrying out these analyses is way beyond the scope of a safety practitioner's work. There's a lot of examples of the work of epidemiologists and medical statisticians on our Epidemiology & Public Health department's website - http://www.prw.le.ac.uk/ An topical example to add to the ones above is the work being done on the transmission and distribution of SARS - a typical epidemiological study. Diane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2003 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman George, I am sorry, but if you need to ask this question you are not qualified to even try to answer it. Or even to ask it. Epidemiology is a heavy subject - the best people in the field have knighthoods ( and even then I dont always agree with them) And what on earth does that have to do with a work situation ? Please excuse me if you think I have jumped on you a bit hard. If you are trying to improve your knowledge, then good. Check with the Royal Society for the Protection of Health, or even Sir Robert Fox, though I doubt that he has his own web site Merv Newman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2003 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear George, Epidemiology is the study of how often diseases occur in different groups of people and why. There are many books on the subject, but not that many are any good for the layman. Two good books are: Epidemiology for the uninitiated 4th Edn D Coggon, d Rose and DJP Barker ISBN 0-7279-1102-3 Epidemiology kept Simple An introduction to clasical and modern epidemiology BB Gerstman ISBN 0-471-24029-X Both are good books, but the latter is more in depth and slightly better than the former. Regards Adrian Watson